Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Dear All,

my issue is basically simple. my problem is i have multiple hp laserjets in my office and i know how to change the name of the printer on each computer but thats not what im looking for. my question is: is it possible to change the name of the printer so when installing a printer on a new device (PC pr laptop/mac) i can know to which printer i am looking for? i tried assigning a new fixed IP to it, login to it from the web and setting the location. but the name will not change.

any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello@karimsargi,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

Need assistance in changing the name of the printer. Did I get it, right?

You can change the name of the printer only on the PC after installing it.

The Printer is an encrypted name in the firmware of the printer and it cannot be changed either through EWS or on the printer.

Hope this answers the question. Please let me know more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello@karimsargi,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

Need assistance in changing the name of the printer. Did I get it, right?

You can change the name of the printer only on the PC after installing it.

The Printer is an encrypted name in the firmware of the printer and it cannot be changed either through EWS or on the printer.

Hope this answers the question. Please let me know more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Just a bad procedure. I can name our Dell printers anything we like.

HP Recommended
At a public Library we have an HP CF485A printer which is in a rather remote location used by a small group. We would very much like to change the printer's network Host Name to something more descriptive to dissuade non group users .

Yet when I log into printer via its IP address: Choose Networking, Network Identification, Network Identification, Current Settings . . and try to change the Hostname field then click APPLY, the name changes back to the default hostname NPI5087A4.  How can I change this??

The "default Hostname" filed is greyed out.

HP Recommended

If this is true that the network HostName of the printer is "encrypted name in the firmware of the printer" why does HP provide an option to change the HostNmae. only to change it back to the Default Hostname when the user clicks on apply?

Why doesn't HP release a firmware update to change this behavior??

HP Recommended

You can change the Host Name, but it can't have any spaces or I just use an underscore. (i.e. Color_Printer)

That's why everyone keeps getting the error. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.