Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

how to print a document from an USB stick.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Such a feature cannot be added, document printing is only supported on Officejet Pro or Laserjet Printers using the PostScript print language, the printer only supports the PCL3 language and cannot print a such directly from a memory device.

There are printers like the Officejet Pro 8730 or the Laserjet Pro M281 printers which capable of such, but both are A4 printers only and do not support A3 printing.

emailing the files and printing those from a mobile device would also be a possible workaround.

Hope you may find any of the information above helpful,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

you can only print pictures from a USB stick with the 7740 printer.

Documents such as MS Office or PDF files could be printed from a computer, a mobile device, etc. but not from a USB stick.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

thanks Shlomi, unfortunately your answer solves my question.  Company securiy does not allow me to download non internal network drivers. so one of the reasons I purchased this printer was based on the specs mentioning printing possible from USB drive. These specs do not specify that documents printing from the USB stick was not available (the specs focussed indeed on Photo printing).  so consequently I have following questions:

- should I retunr the printer?

- or How can I ask HP if this feature could be delivered via upgrade?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Such a feature cannot be added, document printing is only supported on Officejet Pro or Laserjet Printers using the PostScript print language, the printer only supports the PCL3 language and cannot print a such directly from a memory device.

There are printers like the Officejet Pro 8730 or the Laserjet Pro M281 printers which capable of such, but both are A4 printers only and do not support A3 printing.

emailing the files and printing those from a mobile device would also be a possible workaround.

Hope you may find any of the information above helpful,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hello Schomil,

many thanks for your input. However, 7740 is also an Office Jet Pro, just like the 8730, so why can't HP upgrade with the same firmware?

about your workaround suggestion. do I understand well that sending the document to the e-mail address of the printer (that I already installed), it is possible to print the annexed documents starting from there?

HP Recommended

Hi,

As mentioned, only more advanced printers which use PostScript or PCL XL allow printing documents directly from a USB stick, a PCL 3 printer is more limited for a such.

Most HP Officejet Pro uses PCL 3 only, Officejet Pro 8730 or 8740 are exceptions on this matter.

The Officejet Pro 7740 support the PCL 3 GUI, see 'Print languages':

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-7740-wide-format-all-in-one-printer-series/768...

A such cannot print documents directly and any update will not change the printer specifications, what you would like to achieve cannot be done with the 7740 printer.

The HP Officejet Pro 8730 or 8740 uses a completely different printing language and are much different although share the same series name, see Printing specifications below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-series/7902014/documen...

Shlomi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.