Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M404dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

when I print double sided the M404dn printer prints one side, then prompts me to load the paper again to print on the other side.  

Does this printer support automatic duplex printing?

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SteveRichter 

Yes, model "dn" supports two-sided printing.

Datasheet

and

Printer specifications

HP LaserJet Pro M304-M305, M404-M405 - User Guide

Page 46

There are restrictions on which paper size / type can be used with the duplex option.

@Repairatrooper 

Can you provide words of wisdom?

I can read specs - I don't have any direct experience with this hardware.

Thanks for any insight.

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP LaserJet Pro M404dn

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SteveRichter 

Yes, model "dn" supports two-sided printing.

Datasheet

and

Printer specifications

HP LaserJet Pro M304-M305, M404-M405 - User Guide

Page 46

There are restrictions on which paper size / type can be used with the duplex option.

@Repairatrooper 

Can you provide words of wisdom?

I can read specs - I don't have any direct experience with this hardware.

Thanks for any insight.

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP LaserJet Pro M404dn

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

What may have happened is that the duplex feature was not detected by the driver when the printer was installed. 

On your PC got print: control panel>devices and printers and then right click on the icon for your printer and select printer properties from the drop down menu. The click on device settings on the new window that opens, scroll down and find installable options and make sure that "duplexer " shows as installed. 

duplex.jpg

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

thanks.  I did the software install.  but then declined to register on the HP website ( do not want HP to install stuff I do not need ).  When I clicked "decline to register" the install process just spun and went nowhere.  The printer does print.  But I do not see the HP universal printer in printer properties.

I will retry the install.

thanks for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.