Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I am using the HP LaserJet P1005 on Windows XP. whenever it runs out of paper i cannot get it to reset from that error mode. i've reloaded the tray, opened and closed the lid, unplugged and restarted the printer... but it continues to tell me it's out of paper and there are jobs in the queue. trying to clear the jobs is inaffective, too.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,
Looks like the printer is stuck in that state.
I would recommend to power down, remove the power cable, USB/Ethernet and power up the printer after 30 seconds to do a cold reset.
Check if the error has gone away from printer.
Restart your PC so that the driver removes all the print queue.
Connect back the printer to PC and try printing.

There is also this resource which may help in troubleshooting:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05368413 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

Let me know how it goes.
After this,

I work for HP.
HP Recommended

I have experienced this with multiple HP's on multiple OS (IE: Windows 7, Windows 10). HP 600 and 400 models. They are hard wired to a network with no wifi. I do not wish to power cycle the printers each time this happens and when I do, it seems like it still takes 20 to 35 minutes for the printers to tell the system it now has paper. Is this an issue HP is aware of and do they have a fix coming out soon?
Thanks!

HP Recommended

Have you found a solution to this problem? I have about 20 M426fdw printers that give me this issue all the time. As soon as the printer runs out of paper, it sends the message to the OS but it seems to not tell the OS when there is paper again. I can do copies just fine but cannot send print job from the OS.

HP Recommended

@JonathanRoy

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

HP Recommended

We are experiencing the same issue with one of our remote employees. Can you please specify the solution that was given to the other user?

HP Recommended

@ashu_b wrote:

Hello,
Looks like the printer is stuck in that state.
I would recommend to power down, remove the power cable, USB/Ethernet and power up the printer after 30 seconds to do a cold reset.
Check if the error has gone away from printer.
Restart your PC so that the driver removes all the print queue.
Connect back the printer to PC and try printing.
There is also this resource which may help in troubleshooting:
https://dissertationwriter.org/write-my-thesis/ (Link Updated 05/01/2017)
Let me know how it goes.
After this,

Whenever it happens to my printer I have to restart it for a few times. Geeva, you are right: clearing the jobs never helps here.

HP Recommended

I am having this same problem with my LaserJet Pro MFP M426fdw printer.  This post has been going on since 2011!!!  Why has HP not fixed this extremely frustrating issue with its printers!  It is simply not acceptable to have to completely shut down and unplug everything every time the printer runs out of paper!!!!!!

HP Recommended

I have given up. The printer was unplugged and replaced with an old re-manufactured HP4350 in one area and a BROTHER in another. HP apparently does not have the communication down on the printers to networks or to the community questions and back. Once I can no longer find HP4350's, I am switching. Sorry HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.