Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet M254dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this M254dw 7 months ago. It was apparently a demo and had starter cartridges in it that only had a couple pages use on them. The printer showed no wear at all. Has original firmware on it.

So I figure cartridges have been opened and in printer for a year, maybe 2. They still have a few months use in them at the rate I use them so I will store them (air sealed, moisture removal packet, dark, horizontal, correct side up) when I get my new 202A set (genuine HP) in a week or so. They have worked flawlessly so far. Does anyone have experience of a stored HP toner cartridge going bad? Thanks!

-----HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw via USB, HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn via USB
Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad P15s Gen1, Windows 11 23H2,
genuine HP toner, HP Premium 24lb paper.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For the most part, properly stored, several years is not out of the question. You may get some compacting of toner when you first install them that will result in voids but if you gently tilt them side to side about 5 times first that should prevent that problem. Occasionally a wiper blade may fail but that is pretty rare on cartridges less than 7 years old.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

For the most part, properly stored, several years is not out of the question. You may get some compacting of toner when you first install them that will result in voids but if you gently tilt them side to side about 5 times first that should prevent that problem. Occasionally a wiper blade may fail but that is pretty rare on cartridges less than 7 years old.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is as I had hoped!!!

-----HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw via USB, HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn via USB
Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad P15s Gen1, Windows 11 23H2,
genuine HP toner, HP Premium 24lb paper.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.