Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
COlor Laser Jet Pro MFP m177fw
Linux

Since some days the printer doesn't conntect via the LAN. I already exchanged the LAN cable, because I thought it might be faulty but no difference.
What I start the printer and check in my router I see some other connected devices but not the printer, although the printer shows me in it's menue an IP Address.  I guess it still has i from the good old days, when it still worked.

So running the HP Managr to connect the device is useless, when it isn't in my network. Also the printer menue states, that it isn't connected.

How to proceed? How do I get my device to connect again to the LAN? Can I rease the IP Address and let it pick a new one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So wrong, wrong and wrong again.

First wrong:

In general HP has a good support for Linux and with the hplib there is generally no problem installing a printer.

Second wrong:
This printer was already in use with two windows laptops and a Ubuntu PC as printer and scanner.

Third wrong:
My problem was not not being able to print on this device, but this device to being connected to my network.

Since I have found the solution meanwhile, although not being an hp employee I want to share it for others:
I got the printer to connect to the LAN again by activating the menu on the printer itself (the device, not a representation of this device on a computer) , choosing the tab with the cogwheel ( aka setup) going down to the second "page" of this menu and choosing "network setup"

There I chose TCPIP Setup and changed the setting from getting the IP manually toautomatic.
Restart of printer and lo behold a printer was seen in the menue of my router.
Problem fixed.

And if the printer is in the network again I can install it with the presumalbly not existing, but very good working driver for Linux.

Take that.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Bösefrau, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that you are unable to connect your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw on the wired network.

We do not have drivers for Linux. You need to connect the printer to computers which have either windows or mac OS.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

So wrong, wrong and wrong again.

First wrong:

In general HP has a good support for Linux and with the hplib there is generally no problem installing a printer.

Second wrong:
This printer was already in use with two windows laptops and a Ubuntu PC as printer and scanner.

Third wrong:
My problem was not not being able to print on this device, but this device to being connected to my network.

Since I have found the solution meanwhile, although not being an hp employee I want to share it for others:
I got the printer to connect to the LAN again by activating the menu on the printer itself (the device, not a representation of this device on a computer) , choosing the tab with the cogwheel ( aka setup) going down to the second "page" of this menu and choosing "network setup"

There I chose TCPIP Setup and changed the setting from getting the IP manually toautomatic.
Restart of printer and lo behold a printer was seen in the menue of my router.
Problem fixed.

And if the printer is in the network again I can install it with the presumalbly not existing, but very good working driver for Linux.

Take that.

HP Recommended

@Bösefrau, I appreciate your time and patience for finding a solution for this issue.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.