Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro m118dw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan
Bought printer 6/9/2019. Still using starter cartridge. Black streak getting much worse down right side of page. Only on front of two sided printing. Second page appears to be lighter than first?
Little/no lines on back even when two sidedLittle/no lines on back even when two sided
Product warranty check was unable to find a match for m118dw and my serial number

Looking at the support page:

Step 5 - Check the toner level: for MacOS says to open ‘HP Utility' 

On the software page, there is no ‘HP Utility'

Step 7 - Print a cleaning page: Says to press the “Setup” button on the printer control panel. Where is this button?
IMG_1500.jpeg
Used the printer web page to run cleaning mode 3 times. Never much improvement.
IMG_1502.jpeg

Step 9 - Inspect the toner cartridge and imaging drum: ‘#2 - Examine the memory chip for damage.’? What?

Right side of toner drum looks normal, right side of imaging drum has toner on it.
IMG_1503.jpeg
Should starter cartridge outlast the imaging drum? I had multiple 4m/5l/6l printers, and never had drum issues unless printing labels. I’ve never printed a label in this printer. I can’t find a printed page count on the test pages.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP does warranty supplies until the reach low. If the page count is low and the drum has failed I would contact HP technical support and request a replacement.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HP does warranty supplies until the reach low. If the page count is low and the drum has failed I would contact HP technical support and request a replacement.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

That would be great if they would help me, and after reading the solution steps for the printer, was my next plan. But for the life of my I am unable to find how to contact support. The virtual assistant asks question and mysteriously gives up, and the link for support is all self help. That is why I posted here, I self help wasn't getting my anywhere, and I could figure out how to get ahold of anyone else.

HP Recommended

Was finally able to contact support. The web site doesn't allow you to log in with Safari, you just keep going back to the not logged in state. Was able to get things working with Chrome, and noticing when I entered m118dw, I had to let it select the full name "Laserjet Pro M118dw", not hit enter, or it wouldn't go further.

Eventually I got support chat, and going through all of the above again, they are sending a new imaging drum.

Thank you.

BTW, the printer only has 638 pages on it, says the imaging drum is still 100%. The starter toner still has 30%. I hope the next drum does a little better...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.