Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
2600n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

what does the message page too complex mean, and is there a fix

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

It means that the amount of memory required to format the page for printing exceeds the available memory.  You can try printing at a lower resolution or try printing the image as a smaller picture. Or save the picture as a jpeg and lower the quality which will reduce the size of the file.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

You might try using a different printer driver. If you are using a PostScript driver, it tends to be more data than a PCL driver would create. If possible, try different drivers to see if one will work better.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think the problem is something other than memory. I may be wrong, but I don't believe there is any way to install more memory, I can't find a reference to more memory any where in the HP documentation, or on the web.

I also don't believe it's the driver. I have two of this printers (2600n) and they are side by side on my desk and can plug either one, or both of the USB cables into the same computer. One works fine and has for many years, the other goes through the initialization and calibration and post the the message "page too complex" and won't do anything else. 

I've had both printers for some time, the working printer has been in use for years, and the other (non-working ) one was in storage in my garage for a couple of years until recently. The broken one has had new cartridges installed, but nothing else and I can't remember if it ever worked before going into storage.  The only difference I can see between the working one and the broken one is possibly some dust had gotten into it during storage. My next step is to thoroughly clean the inside of the broken one.

Prof_D 

HP Recommended

Interesting. I did find this reported fix for a similar model that might work for yours too:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Archive-Read-Only/page-too-complex/td-p/88560

Maybe setting it to Full Speed instead of Automatic or High Speed will work.

I'll send you the instructions to access the secondary service menu for you to try it you decide.

HP Recommended

I've seen that post and it does not apply to this printer because there is no way to adjust the USB speed. It does not exist in any of the menus.

Here is the latest.

As I mentioned earlier, I decided to take it apart and clean it. When I removed all the cartridges, there was a lot of yellow colored dust, probably from one of the cartridges. I carefully blew it out using  my air compressor. I did not get it all out, and there was some slight yellow dust still there. I removed the paper tray and unscrewed and removed the back metal panel. I plugged in the power cord, but no USB cable. I turned it on, just to see if the error was still there, the display had disappeared, or there was no display. I thought there must be an interlock, keeping it from coming on, I attached the back panel, but did not screw it in. I turned off the power and installed all the cartridges and the paper tray. I turned it back on and there was no display, or so I thought, but I could make out something. I got my flashlight and wow, there was a display  and no error. I went into the menu and increased the contrast and yes it was working normally. I turned the power off and on a couple of times and it when through the initialization and the display showed "ready" and full ink cartilages. I went into the menu and changed the calibration to be done right after initialization. Turned it off and back on and yep, all was good.

I ran out of time to do any more, but next I will try it again with a USB connected to the computer....More to come. 

HP Recommended

Hopefully you get it working, but I did get the Secondary Menu access from the Service Manual for your printer model and it does have USB speed options listed in it. I sent you a picture of the instructions as a PDF for accessing the menu in a private message.

HP Recommended

You are correct, I was able to get into the second menu and I found where the USB speed  can be changed. I have not tried this new setting with my computer, but I think it will work, Thank you for you suggestion and help. I discovered the menu will stay in the 2menu, until you press page reject, and right arrow.

Thanks again,

Prod_D

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for all the  help. I didn't get any help for HP. There printer software hides all the details, which for me is no good. 
Their software can't install a driver, on my 2600n. HP wants to take over and do it all for me, but it does not work and it's frustrating.

This forum was what did it for me. Thanks again, and yes the USB fix is as suggested,  change the serial speed

I also setup my 2600n as network printer, and as with the USB, the HP software did not work. I had to going into the  printer menuing and reset it to the default (DHCP from my router) and then install the printer manually.

I also was able to set all the TCP/IP addressing, subnet mask, etc... in the printer and then again install it manually.

It's nice to know there are still  people willing to help others.... HP are you listening?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.