Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laser jet pro mfd m127 fn

after changing the black ink cartridge to my laser jet pro MFD M127 fn  with an HP brand cartridge,  the printer still indicates "install black ink cartridge" any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you William291

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Check over the cartridge for a small green memory chip with 2 small copper contacts on the surface. This is used to tell the printer the cartridge is installed and compatible. Make sure it is intact and clean. Inside the printer is a spot where the chip is read with 2 small wire contacts that touch the chip. Check those wires to make sure they are not bent or damaged. Make sure you have a CF283A (83A) toner cartridge.

Can you install your old cartridge to check if it still is detected? If it's not detected now, there is likely a problem with your contacts I mentioned earlier.

One safe option to always try is a Power Reset to eliminate a possible logic issue:
First, make sure the printer is plugged straight into a wall outlet and not a power strip, surge protector or UPS.
With the printer plugged in and powered ON, disconnect the power cord from the printer. This will hopefully dissipate any electricity stored in the printer that could be hindering it.
Wait at least 30, preferably 60 seconds.
If there is a power switch, turn it to the OFF position.
Plug the power cable back into the printer.
Turn the printer ON with the power switch.

If your new cartridge still isn't recognized, contact HP or the store where you purchased your cartridge for a warranty replacement of your cartridge.

HP Recommended

Greetings ALS 77, thank you for your recommendation to solve my issue pertaining to the loading a new ink cartridge in my laser jet pro m127 fn printer and still getting the "install black cartridge".  I followed your recommendation but to no avail. I also purchased another brand new HP cartridge and install that one and got the same message "install black cartridge."  Im not sure what to do now, but thank you very much for your suggestion. sincerely, William 291

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.