Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet pro mfp m277 and 477 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello all,

Kindly note that my printers, hp laserjet pro mfp m277 series and 477 series, after assigning ip address manually to them , they on their own change to DHCP, thereby assigning ip dynamically to these printers. i have tried to figure out what could be causing this and how to permanently resolve it. please help

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@ikonic

Welcome back to HP Forums. 

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns 

May I know why would you like to assign manual IP Addresses to both the printers? Are you facing any issues printing?

Also let me know how you are assigning the Manual IP Addresses.

Keep me posted

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply krazy toad.

In my place of work we have an ip address range we assign to printers and we do that manually. just of recent we deployed this two new printers in question and i assigned as usual ip addresses to them manually. Ocassionally, i get complaints from my users that they cannot print , only for me to check and notice the printer settings have changed from manual to DHCP. After configuring it again to use manual ip address it will on its own return to DHCP. I updated the firmware of one of them that is the laserjet pro mfp m277series printer to see if it will correct it, but it still didn't work. 

I assigned the ip address this way, first i selected the ipv4 option and then the manual setting option, typed the host ip, subnet mask, and default gateway and save .

After the configuration everything worked fine, just like other printers on our network, but after a long while the users tend to complain. This is peculiar to this new printers laserjet pro mfp m 277 series and 477 series

HP Recommended

@ikonic

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Sandytechy20,

Since you are an HP Employee,

Please send a private email for this solution to [edit]

HP Recommended

@4dd

Welcome to HP support community.

Could you please explain more about the issue you are facing with the printer?

Are you getting any error message?

Reply with the requested information for more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have had everything configured manually for connectivity on the local network. It has been this way for the past two years with no problems. Then I get a call while on vacation this past July and none of the printers could print to it. Sure enough, it was as if someone had changed everything back to DHCP. I set everything back to the way it was and no problems since. I even upgraded to the latest firmware. No problems. Just wondering what causes this.

HP Recommended

@bulletsponge

Please provide me with the complete printer model or product number and i'll try my best to assist you 😊

You can refer to this Link: hp.care/2bygf7l for help in locating the Product Number.

Keep me posted

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am having the same issue on hundreds of printers in the school system which are 90% HP. many of m401dne. This issue usually occurs after the printers have lost power for extended periods I am told such as during holiday breaks etc. We set all printers to manual and use print servers for most printers but this also happens on printers that have locally assigned manual IP addresses. 

Hopefully you can help.

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.