Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

This is not really a problem, but I am interested to know why it happens.  I have a Laserjet P1006 running under Macintosh 10.6.4.  Since the update to driver 1.2.0.224 , each time I print I receive a message "Media tray empty".  The media tray is always well filled, and printing proceeds normally.  Do I need to clean something? 

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

I too use a Mac and get the "media tray empty" message when the media tray is full--can someone please tell me what to do about it?  It's not such a harmless problem.  Sometimes it prevents the printer from printing.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

I currently run OS 10.6.4 and have the exact same issues with this media tray empty message.  While it continues to happen frequently - at least 3-4 times a week.  I have found by closing the print dialog box (exiting it), doing a power down on the printer and then restarting the printer that I can actually get stuff to print.  But this actually shouldn't be happening to begin with!  I too have a full media tray, have even tried putting paper in the single sheet feeder opening and it still won't print.  Recently updated all the print drivers for my all in one officejet and this laserjet printer.

Frustrated just doesn't adequately describe my feeling about this issue.

Is someone from HP even reading this stuff!????

HP Recommended

I just had the same problem after I had a very, very rare paper jam in my HP 1022. I removed all the paper and then tried to print one page. You'll get an error message.  Load the paper and try again and voila, the "Media tray empty" mess age has disappeared. Hope this works for you also.

HP Recommended

Using a 24" iMac with OS 10.6.7 and an HP Color Laserjet 2600n printer - same "media tray empty" message. Although it was still printing, the bouncing printer icon on my doc was annoying. Tried the print without paper technique described, then loaded it again, and the message disappeared. Thanks for the tip.

HP Recommended

I found that if there are two USB devices connected then the printer gets "confused", once I disconnected the secondary device and had a lone connection to the printer, it went back to normal.

HP Recommended

I've got the same problem under Mac OS 10.6.8. Tried all of the above fixes, nothing has worked. Tried reinstalling the driver. Tried the latest driver. Stopped getting "Media tray empty" message, now it just Pauses itself everytime I try to print and I can't get it to Resume. My HP Color LaserJet is effectively now a very large and expensive paperweight.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with "media tray Empty" message suddenly appearing after I had had my computer and printer off for a while when I was on vacation. I run OS10.6.8 and print through a LAN. The printer would not print even after I tried turning it off and on a few times to reset it.  I took the paper out, tried to print, then put the paper back in and the printer worked, printing a page, and the message went away. Great tip!!

HP Recommended

I'm having a huge problem with this right now on my Officejet 7000- I tried printing without paper, as suggested above. I've reinstalled the drivers, turned the thing on & off a dozen times, cleaned the rollers in the printer. I guess the next step is to take it apart?!? No surprise, I too am on a MAC, running OS10.6.8. Obviously this is a problem for macs.... anyone at HP working to correct it? I'm about to throw this thing out the window an go back to Epson....

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip. I have a Laserjet p1006 with a non existent "media jam". Pulling all the USB attachments except the printer and the keyboard worked a treat!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.