Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet M479fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new M479fdw connected to a Windows 10 Enterprise computer via USB. Every time I print a document I get an "Out of Paper" error. This appears to be because the manual tray is closed and empty. 

I have verified this by placing paper in the manual tray and the error does not occur. I normally print from Tray 2 which is loaded with the correct paper.

How do I turn off this nuisance error message. I rarely use the manual tray, It is always closed and empty.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

so theres a couple things you could try.  

1- go into the control panel on the printer and look for something like paper/tray setup or paper handling.  this provides you options for setting paper types/sizes for certain trays.  most printers come w/ tray 2 defaulted to plain, letter paper.  make sure that's still the case.  if the MP tray lists the same type/size as tray 2, try setting it to something different like legal size.  doing that will make the printer default to the regular letter size, which is now in tray 2 like you've had.  

2-you can check printer setting to make sure the MP tray isn't set to exclusively print.  if that's selected, the printer wants to default to the MP tray before anything else.  

HP Recommended

All settings have been attempted. Different paper sizes and different types have been set. The error still occurs.

HP Recommended

Most often this problem happens on new printer because the driver defaulted to A4 instead of letter. On your PC go to control panel>devices and printers, right click icon for printer and select printer properties from the drop down menu.  Then click the preferences button and check what default paper is set and change to plain letter.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Already set the preferences to match the loaded printer.

HP Recommended

Di you get the same error behavior when making a copy? If yes you likely have a hardware issue. If it then likely you have a driver or software setting issue. If Hardware the paper presence switch in tray 1 could be stuck. Otherwise bad sensor.  If this is a hardware issue either return to vendor or call Hp for warranty.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I do not believe that there is a hardware issue. If I load an envelope on the manual tray, then the issue goes away. The switch appears to work when the manual tray is loaded.

The manual tray is normally closed. The idea that a closed manual tray is resulting in an error every time I send a print job to the printer is extremely frustrating. 

HP Recommended

As suggested, try to make a copy using the scanner and see if it actually makes a copy without you having to push a button.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.