Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I go to print something and the troublescreen says: The HP LaserJet 1020 has the front cover door open or the toner cartridge is missing. But the door is closed and the cartridge is fine. I've put a new one in after the message started appearing thinking the low ink was casusing the change. I suspect a mechanical sensor switch is kaput but don't want to have to enter the machine. All of the switches look and feel like they are working normally.

Love this little machine, it is a real workhorse, simple and effective.  I use a Samsung laptop with Windows 7 and my spouse shares the printer using a Toshiba PC; we both get the same response from our little hp...todius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I will now let you know what we did to fix it.  My wife stuck a pencil into the receiving slot for the top cover closed pin which is found on the front left corner of the top cover. She jiggled it until she was able to close the cover and print. Now it works as it always has.

Thanks babe...todius

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I will now let you know what we did to fix it.  My wife stuck a pencil into the receiving slot for the top cover closed pin which is found on the front left corner of the top cover. She jiggled it until she was able to close the cover and print. Now it works as it always has.

Thanks babe...todius

HP Recommended

The HP LaserJet 1020 has the front cover door open or the toner cartridge is missing

HP Recommended

Respected Sir,

Plz solve the problem of my printer when I print this massage is sowing The HP LaserJet 1020 has the front cover door open or the toner cartridge is missing. How to solve this problem.

HP Recommended

It was a peace off paper stuck in the bottom off the HP1020. Taking it away solved my problem.

HP Recommended

This advice instantly corrected the problem!!  I inserted a small narrow firm plastic (1cc syringe) into the left top hole where the cover closes and pushed it in until it clicked....then closed the front cover and tried to print a page.....and it works again!!!   Thanks so much for the tip!!!

HP Recommended

False message about missing cartridge or door open fixed: advice from Evaö was right: a very tiny piece of paper wedged inside, almost unnoticeable. Advice: remove cartridge and look around very carefully when there's an error message. THANKS Evaö!!! 

HP Recommended

I've been going crazy uninstalling and re-installing drive software, etc for hours.  Read about small piece of paper on this site causing problem.  In my case it was a 1/2" square piece of a potato chip...ha

HP Recommended

HP LaserJet 1018 the problem is it is not printing and showing alert that says front door opened and missing carrtiage

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.