Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI,

I recently installed a NI0FA855 (HP Color Laserjet MFP M277dw) as default printer.

When going to Devices and Printers, I get the same info (when right-clicking on the printer)  from "See what's is printing" down to "Delete print queue", namely:

- NPI0FA855(HP Color Laserjet MFP 277dw), and

- "Scan only - NPI0FA855 (HP Color Laserjet MFP 277dw) - DO NOT DELETE".

I am puzzled by the second line "Scan only....." and I have not found any explanation on the Web/HP about its appearance or use.

Can someone clarify? Thank you.

Xavier/Belgium  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The number NPI0FA855 is the host name of the network card in the printer and serves as identification for other devices such as your computer to find it on the network. The use of host name addressing is to ensure that the device is always available, even if the IP address of the device changes, as the HOST name would only change if you physically changed it on the printer. I am not sure what algorithm HP uses to come up with that number but you can change it to anything you want in the network settings such as MY277.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your printer is considered two devices to Windows, a printer and a scanner (imaging device).  Depending on how you installed your printer Windows sometimes stacks up both devices as one queue and sometimes it splits them apart.  Modern Win10 updates do a better job of consolidating everything into a single object with the advancements in the Printers & Scanners area.

You may safely ignore the Scan only device in Devices and Printers.  Deleting this object would risk breaking your scanning software and require a re-installation to repair.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Sorry for my belated reply but I was away during the year-end period. I understand your reply but does HP explain somewhere on their site the specificity  of their NPI0FA855 ?

Thank you again.

Xavier

HP Recommended

The number NPI0FA855 is the host name of the network card in the printer and serves as identification for other devices such as your computer to find it on the network. The use of host name addressing is to ensure that the device is always available, even if the IP address of the device changes, as the HOST name would only change if you physically changed it on the printer. I am not sure what algorithm HP uses to come up with that number but you can change it to anything you want in the network settings such as MY277.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.