Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet 4100dtn
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have a laserjet 4100dtn with an ethernet 10/100 rj-45 connector. On the network there are 2 mac mini's and 3 imacs

with operating systems at various levels of upgrade. Everything has worked perfectly for years with all of the computers

then I installed Mojave on one of the mini's. When I tried to set up a print queue, I I was only partially successful. I then

contacted Apple and they said there were in the process of switching to "air" printers only and would no longer provide drivers

for 3rd party printers, only and had no help to offer.

I usually print from a mac that is not upgraded to Mojave. When I tried printing there it failed and creating and recreating

the queue on it (an old iMac). Apparently when I tried to create a queue with Mojave, it changed a setting in the network

card. I tried removing and replacing the network card with an unexpected negative result, the printer will no longer

come out of the "initializing" state on power up.

I have two questions:

1) how do I get the printer our of the "initializing" state?

2) how do I reset the network card and to what do I reset it?

Obviously, I am not highly tech literate, though I am getting desperate because I have classwork to print.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.  Thank you.

Arcturus999

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have done a lot of experimenting since the last post.

To answer your question, YES, it does come ready with the card in and connected. I can even set up a queue on the old iMac.

When I do that I see the data light on the 4100 blink as it sets up the queue. When I try to print, sometimes it works and 

sometimes it goes into a loop where the the screen alternates between "ready" and "data received". It does that for a few

minutes and then reads "82.0180 EIO 2 Error" and stays that way. When that happens I go to the print and scan preferences

and call up the queue and when I dig into the queue, it tells me there is a "broken pipe". In my inexperienced mind this seems

to be a card error, even though nothing on this printer or computer has changed.

The card is a 610N which is probably even older than a 615N. I have ordered a refurbished 620N and hope that solves it.

Thank you very much. You have no idea what a relief it is to have good feedback after hours of work with nowhere to turn.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Since my original post, I have been able to get the printer up to "ready". However, I was still not able to print pdf files or directly

from InDesign. In studying the user forum I found that moving the network card to the other port might work. I tried that

unsuccessfully. However, when I went back to the original port, I completely lost network connectivity. Somehow something

in the card or printer must have failed even though I was very careful.

In the process I learned that the card is a 610N which was recalled years ago, as was the 615N. I have ordered the newer 620N.

Is there any way that I can tell whether the problem for the recent failure is in the card or the printer interface?

Thank you.

Arcturus999

HP Recommended

First thing you want to do is confirm that the printer still works. Power off the printer, remove the network card and start the printer to see if it comes to a ready state. If it does that means your printer is likely ok. Power off again and reinstall the network card and turn on the power and see if it comes to ready. If not then either the card is dead (possible based on age if it has 10/100 networking) or the card settings are corrupt.  You can try a cold reset, this will clear all settings on the printer and the network card. Power off the printer, hold down the go button and turn on the power. Hold the go button until the display reads "cold reset". Release the go button and wait for the printer to come to ready.

Please note that it is highly unlikely that the update for MAC damaged or changed anything on the printer, more likely it was just a coincidence if the network card failed.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you. This was a big help to a tyro like me.

With the card out it comes to "ready". With the card in it comes to "ready"

With a cold reset with the card in it comes to "offline" and no farther so I retry.

On the second try it comes to "initializing" and no farther so I retry again.

On the third try it gets only to all stars and so I try again.

On the fourth try it again comes to "offline" and no farther.

Where do I go from here?

I have ordered a new card but after all of this I am unsure of anything.

Thank you again

HP Recommended

Does it still come to ready if you remove the card? What model number is on the card? If it is an JetDirect 615N then most likely this is the problem, the 615N is prone to failure.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I have done a lot of experimenting since the last post.

To answer your question, YES, it does come ready with the card in and connected. I can even set up a queue on the old iMac.

When I do that I see the data light on the 4100 blink as it sets up the queue. When I try to print, sometimes it works and 

sometimes it goes into a loop where the the screen alternates between "ready" and "data received". It does that for a few

minutes and then reads "82.0180 EIO 2 Error" and stays that way. When that happens I go to the print and scan preferences

and call up the queue and when I dig into the queue, it tells me there is a "broken pipe". In my inexperienced mind this seems

to be a card error, even though nothing on this printer or computer has changed.

The card is a 610N which is probably even older than a 615N. I have ordered a refurbished 620N and hope that solves it.

Thank you very much. You have no idea what a relief it is to have good feedback after hours of work with nowhere to turn.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Several days ago someone helped me with this post but I can't seem to regain that thread.

The proposed solution of getting a new 620N card was successful, I received the card today and after configuration it

functions well.

This is to say thank you for the individual who assisted me. I was lost without that help.

Thank you again.

Arcturus999

HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you, thank you. The 620N card works well

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.