Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet Pro MFP M127fw
Microsoft Windows Vista

every time i shut my computer off, when i restart it does not recognize the printer, so i need to uninstall and reinstall printer and driver using the disk? This just started recently and i cnanot fig it out as to why

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @kmf1234

Thanks for your very kind words 🙂

You also have been the most patient and kind HP customer! 

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hello, @kmf1234 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for joining the HP Support forums! I would glad to be of your assistance 🙂

I understand that your Windows 10 PC is not recognizing your printer every time when you restart your Windows Vista PC. I need to know how is the printer connected to your PC. Is it connected via USB / Wireless or Ethernet? Let me know.

Alternatively, I would suggest you perform a clean install to try and fix the issue. Here are the steps:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Printer / Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click http://hp.care/2bONq6O to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

HI DVortex,

nope that did not work, i use a USB but after removing the run files as noted, uninstalling etc, when prompted using my disk, reinstalled: I set up wireless config, it worked then I did a test, it printed, than i did anohter test, the other test was, i rebooted computer and once again unable to print device not recognized and in tool bar the X on my printer icon

now, im uninstalling again and will reinstall using my HP Laserjet pro disk with usb cord, i cannt fig this out, it just started acting up like a month ago, been working fine for a year, sigh, any other sugestions?

thanask for your help

Kat

HP Recommended

Hello, @kmf1234

Thanks for the update!

This issue could be caused by some compatibility issues with the startup programs. That may be the reason for printer not working everytime after a restart. I would hence suggest you to completely disable the startup items and check. Here are the steps:

1. First, follow the steps ion my above message to reinstall the printer drivers and make sure the printer is working.
  2. Now, click the Start button and type “msconfig.exe” (without the quotes) in the Search box. As you type, results display. When you see “msconfig.exe,” click on it or press Enter, if it is highlighted.
  3. Click the Startup tab on the System Configuration main window. A list of all the startup programs displays with a check box next to each one.
  4. Select the option which says "Disable all".  (It is safe to remove any startup program)
  5. Apply & save the settings.
  6. You will be requested to restart the PC, please do the same and check if the issue is resolved or not.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks DVortex!

hip hip hooray! yuppers doing the last thread adn delteing the start up menu items and rebooted, then printing a shipping label etc it worked! Kudos !!

So far so good!! Yup next time i reboot, i pray it stays good, thanks a bazillion!!!!!!!

kmf1234 :HeartEyes:

edit 2/17/17 does not work this am, not solved (sad face)

HP Recommended

once again this am after shutting down computer , its stating this, its showing the correct printer but omg, its not printing again, so i must uninstall and reinstall again, help please??

HP Recommended

how doi reopen this issue, i had marked as resolved, but it is not  😞

HP Recommended

hi 2nd solution did not work, im at a loss, everytime i shut the computer down its a no go with HP printer, have to manually uninstall and reinstall with CD as the link provided times out for download, sigh

any chance there a diff solution??

HP Recommended

Hello, @kmf1234

Thanks for the update! Sad to know that the solution was short lived:(

Do not worry, we might be able to find another one 😉

So, to assist you better, I need to know whether the issue is any different from where we started yesterday. Is it exactly the same or is it any different from yesterday? 

Also, please check and confirm whether the startup items are disabled of not.

I would also appreciate if you could try one more test. Open a document as administrator and then try to print. For example, in windows search box, search for Word and when the results come up, right-click on Word and select "Run as Administrator". type something and then try to print.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

thanks will update when i can i dont shut the computer off and now i have 2 sick kids, so its going to take a few days to respond, will be in touch, thanks for reaching out

kat

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.