Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi,

So, to assist you better, I need to know whether the issue is any different from where we started yesterday. Is it exactly the same or is it any different from yesterday? Same as yesterday

Also, please check and confirm whether the startup items are disabled of not. Start up items still disabled

I would also appreciate if you could try one more test. Open a document as administrator and then try to print. For example, in windows search box, search for Word and when the results come up, right-click on Word and select "Run as Administrator". type something and then try to print. Yes, it printed as administrator,i did not shut down my comuter last night, after uninstalling the HP printer and rebooting and then reinstalling using the CD , the link times out from your previous reply when connecting printer using USB cord, so I do this manutally, but again if i shut down  poof

printer error

HP Recommended

Hello, @kmf1234

Thanks for the update!

I cannot see the image you shared since it will take another few hours to be approved by the moderator. 

However, since the printer is printing when you are printing it as an administrator means that the issue could be with printer permissions. Try the below-mentioned solutions and check:

Solution 1:

• Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.
  • Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Restart your computer and then try to print.

Solution 2:

• Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type %temp% and press ok.
  • Note what the full path is  (in my case, it was "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp")
  • Go up one level in the directory tree
  • Right click on the temp directory (in my case, "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local"), and select "Properties"
  • Go to the Security tab, and select "Users" from the group or user names
  • Click "Edit"
  • Select Users, then check the box by "Full Control"
  • Click "Apply"
  • You may get a whole bunch of error messages about inheritance, just hold down the Enter key until they all go away.
  • Click "Cancel" a couple of times to dismiss the properties boxes
  • Go forth and print from any application and check.

Let me know if that works for you!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

HI,

OK, changed photo ro black our personal info, that should help moderator approve

um, however since i never shut the computer down to receive the intial error on photo, as I reinstalled adn was working when i ran as admin, and it printed, i think that perhaps I (time consuming) should restart the computer to recreate the errorand try running as adminstrator and let you know about that working or not

then i will reply, and maybe than we propose to try the other 2 options?

thanks so much for working with me, as a business owner, shipper its important that this HP working correctly, like how the heck does it stop working all of a sudden afte 1 year no issie hm,mm

and im wonrdering if any new updates or my one child turning off the printer as it was running messed it up, ,doubt, but never know, let me, shut down and run that aminsitrator b4 we work with permissions, glad to have your help, your very very sweet

🙂 bb in a bit while i redo this stuff.....

HP Recommended

Hi @kmf1234, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for your response and time. 

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Did you try the steps recommended by Dvortex, Do you have any concerns or issues with your printer?

Please reply back to us so we can help you better.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI

I started this action:

Solution 1:

• Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.
  • Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"
  • Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".
  • Restart your computer and then try to print.
  • __________________________________________________________________________________

then got freaked out and cancelled the process in mid term, which scrwed up my computer, had to shut down my internet stores as i cannot access IE or Mozilla Firefox at all, not responding, so today hired a IT guy to come in as I cannot access internet firefox/IE and can only use Firefox as run as admin right now.......................so idk, but will get back, im at a loss, plus thinking maybe i have a virus or trogan, IDK, will know hopefully later, after the hired gun comes in and i hope can fix, i think this really is stressfull, bbl thanks for taking over

🙂

HP Recommended

Hello, @kmf1234

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear about the PC 😞

Those steps are specific to give permissions to the printer and nothing else. I am not sure how those will affect your PC internet capability unless there is any virus as you suggested.

Anyways, please do not hesitate to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Good luck!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

HI Im still awaitin IT guy, runing late, however im doing step 1. now BUT have this CREATOR OWNER that I cannot get to ADD to permissions, does this look like I was highjacked, see photo, i dont think i remember this CREATOR OWNER last time i was in printer permissions>> see photo attached PLUS it won allow me to add it as ALLOW?

just saying, IDK

katprinter-permision.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello, @kmf1234

I cannot see the image now, awaiting the moderator approval.

But, Creator Owner is a term normally associated in a Windows Server environment. Are you having a Server or a regular windows PC?

CREATOR OWNER refers the user who initially created the directories or files on a particular machine however, you may simply add the desired users explicitly that you wish to have access and remove CREATOR OWNER from the permissions.

Also, try the Solution 2 as suggested in my above post and then try to print if the first Solution is too complicated.

Let me know how that goes!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi D,

im not using a server......... like a website thing, i have a regular windows desktop PC, with that said, I tried to add this CREATOR OWNER to (add) all to permissions and it percolated, BUT would not ADD then it would not allow me to close the Printer permissions box, so i hard craashed by holding power button to get off it, rebooted.

So after adding all the other users,which shows:

CREATOR OWNER (wont add with check mark)

SYSTEM (added with check mark)

Administrators (Kathy-PC/Adminsitrators) (added with check mark)

Users (Kathy-PC/Users) (added with check mark

Q? can I delete this OWNER CREATOR from the Printer Properties Security tab, im thinking since i cannot recognize it, would it matter, im really concerned that im hijacked now

plus i noticed when i click on the "Sharing tab" in Printer properties, its shows "Printers not shared" and under it ...states "Network path not shared"

if i click on advanced settings the (share this folder box is NOT checked) i was going to check it, but am worried about this CREATOR OWNER issue  pls advise

thanks for your help, im really anxious to know what the heck happened or if im hijacked, and if CREATOR OWNER is a person whom got in, ever heard of this?

thanks in advance for your reply, really wish the IT guy would of atleast called by now, I cannot open noe do work, IE wont open, only Mozilla Firefox in Admin, which is the only way im able to reply back

thanks

kat

HP Recommended

Hello, @kmf1234

Do not panic. We are here to help!

From what you have told, I do not think this has anything to do with somebody hacking your PC. Might be possible that there is a virus / trojan on your PC. You can probably run a virus scan if you have any anti-virus programs installed.

Also, try these steps to reset your Internet Explorer. This will at least give you back the IE functionality:

• Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "inetcpl.cpl" and press enter.
  • “Internet Properties” window opens. Go to “Advanced” tab and then click on “Reset” option.
  • Make sure you check the box which says “Delete the personal settings”. Restart the Internet explorer and then try to browse using the IE.

If the IE starts to work fine, also, try a hard reset on your PC. Simply unplug your PC from the power, remove the battery if it is a laptop with a removable battery. Wait for some time and restart the PC and check.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

Good luck!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.