Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5610xi All-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing Windows 10, I get the following error when attempting to print from some applications:

We couldn't reach this printer. Make sure the printer is on and you are connected to the printer's network, or try a different printer.

I have downloaded and installed the HP drivers for Windows 10, and did a test print. I can print from some applications such as Microsoft Word. Other applications give the above message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After spending an hour and a half with a Microsoft tech without a solution, and then the rest of the day trying various things, I finally came up with a work-around. The problem is Microsoft Edge and I don't know how to fix that. But, if you click on the three little dots in the upper right hand corner of the screen, you are given the option of opening this page in Internet Explorer instead of EDGE. Viola, it now works just like it did in Windows 8. I believe I have found a bug in Windows 10.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

After spending an hour and a half with a Microsoft tech without a solution, and then the rest of the day trying various things, I finally came up with a work-around. The problem is Microsoft Edge and I don't know how to fix that. But, if you click on the three little dots in the upper right hand corner of the screen, you are given the option of opening this page in Internet Explorer instead of EDGE. Viola, it now works just like it did in Windows 8. I believe I have found a bug in Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Yes, this is a "workaround" but a p** poor one at that, because it still misses the point that you can't print out of Edge like you should be able to.  I've also found that where this problem occurs it's the same with a number of other "native" or  "internal" Win 10 programs, such as Photos or Maps - I would encourage you to see if you can print out of those as well; I'm betting that you can't, which tells you that the problem is not just confined to Edge but applies to all sorts of other Windows 10-specific programs as well.  "External" programs like Microsoft Office 2016 Home & Business, IE 11 and Adobe Reader will print just fine without a moment's hesitation.  This is a serious problem which is affecting 1000s of Windows 10 users all over the place so I'd hope that Microsoft would pay attention to this before it gets out of hand.  Nobody, and I mean nobody should ever have to see the dreaded error message,

We couldn't reach this printer. Make sure the printer is on and connected to the printer's network or try a different printer.

HP Recommended

I had this same error message suddenly start appearing when people would send me pdf's by email (not on ones I created). Somehow it seems that W 10 wanted to open it as an Edge document, or in Edge. I long ago went back to IE because Edge was causing so many problems. Your little three dot workaround led me to chnage my defaults on pdf opening from Edge to Adobe. I have no idea how the default got changed to Edge which I don't even use. I think I have thus solved ny problem with the help of starting with your three-dot avenue and finding the default settings.

HP Recommended

I agree on the above. If I want to print a photo I get said error. If I print it as a pdf to file and open the pdf file I can print it on exactly the same printer I got the error message from before, definitely an issue with Windows 10. It is a pain in the....

HP Recommended

The same rotten problem continues on to this day with absolutely no resolution made by Microsoft (or HP, for that matter).  It's an inherent problem with the earlier version of Windows 10 but they've moved on several versions since then and don't intend to go back and fix something they consider to be obsolete at this point in time.  The only  way the problem has ever  been solved is to do a clean install of Windows 10; anything else is simply a waste of your valuable time, so cut your losses and get with it.  You will be happy you did...

HP Recommended

How do you do a clean install of Windows 10? Are you talking about wiping the slate clean and starting all over. What a pain in the a..

HP Recommended

That is exactly  what I'm talking about; a "bare metal" install, as they're called.  It's the only thing that's ever fixed this crummy problem and trust me, I've been following this for years now, ever since Windows 10 first hit the streets.  It's a total nightmare that nobody in the upper echelons of Microsoft (and maybe or maybe not HP) have ever made any reasonable attempt to fix.  It's the old "sorry, but you're just scr*wed" attitude.  I've not read one single instance anywhere that indicated there was any fix for this rotten glitch short of what I mentioned above , so best get started on it.  Be prepared for multiple hours of agony when you do, though.  Come to think of it the new "Creator's Release" is just on the verge of being let go so hang loose until it pops out in a few days or a week or so...

HP Recommended

I had this same error message suddenly start appearing when people would send me pdf's by email (not on ones I created). Somehow it seems that W 10 wanted to open it as an Edge document, or in Edge. I long ago went back to IE because Edge was causing so many problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.