Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion m7-1015dx Entertai PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys, I'm trying to play some PC games and the quality is horrible. I was wondering if anyone could walk me through increasing the amount of dedicated video RAM on my laptop.  It's currently at 32MB and need about 1GB if possible.  About the laptop:

HP Pavilion m7-1015dx Entertainment PC

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

8GB RAM

Approx Total Memory on Graphics Card: 1792 MB

I've seen Youtube Videos on using the registry editor to change this value but wanted to see if there was a better way to solve this issue and prevent future problems or if I need a new graphics card altogether.

Thanks for all of your help

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @StonedForest

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are looking to increase the dedicated Video memory on your computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Kudos to you for trying to research a lot on this concern. 

Have you updated the drivers on your computer?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no facility in display properties to change the dedicated video memory on the computer. 

Recommend you update all the drivers including BIOS using HP Support Assistant. Click here to know more. 

You can also update the graphics driver directly from Intel website and check if it improves the performance of your computer. 

For other steps to improve the performance of your computer, please refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again @Chimney_83,

Ok. So I checked for and installed all the drivers (I believe there was only one) and my dedicated video ram is still the same 32MB it was before...  Does this mean I need to purchase a different graphics card in order to increase this value?

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. The graphics card is inbuilt on the motherboard and you would need to replace the motherboard with a different model with higher video memory. 

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.