Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN Pro 15
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The Windows Event Viewer on my (new) HP Omen laptop shows repeated entries - every FIVE second - indicating some sort of problem with the Synaptics driver/software.

Event Viewer shows the following:

>>>

The description for Event ID 0 from source SynTPEnhService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

SynTPEnhService
Enh Exit with Exit Code: 0x00000000, ReLanuch Enh for Session:1

>>>

The message about corruption will presumably just be that the s/w does not include an error code mapping for this entry. The typo in the message content just shows a lack of attention to software development and testing.

I tried using Windows to update drivers for the Synaptics trackpad and it stated no new drivers available.

The Synaptics s/w version in the 'SWSetup' directory is 18.1.30.12

Uninstalling the trackpad device/drivers and rebooting made no difference.

Uninstalling, deleting drivers, rebooting, reinstalling, made no difference.

The machine also shows occasional pauses for maybe 30 seconds, with the not-an-hourglass icon on display and Windoze not responding. I have no idea if that is related, or if there is something else wrong with the machine.

This constant flooding of Event Logs will be churning resources on the machine, including the disk.

I cannot believe that this is correct and normal behaviour, even though the Event Log entry is 'informational', as it indicates that something is dying and restarting every five minutes whilst the machine is running. How crap is that.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@J__R__,

Hello and thanks for posting on the HP support forums.  Thing I would try is to do a minimal start up by using msconfig.  Shut down any process that is running at startup and see if the errors are still being reported.

HP Notebook PCs - Using the System Configuration Utility (Msconfig) (Windows 7)

This is to rule out any software conflicts that may have happened.  Dont try this in safe mode because we want the full range of drivers to be loaded.  

If there is synaptic software running then you shut it down on startup and the error goes away then we know it is a software issue.  

You have already done an uninstall and reinstall so that tells me that it is either software related or hardware related.

Please let me know how this goes.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hmm, I hadn't received email notification that there was a reply to this.

You don't clearly explain what should and should not be stopped using MSConfig, as the article refers to booting in safe mode whereas you state I should not use safe mode, in your post.

Will try disabling as many processes as possible and do a reboot, though given the 30-page topic elsewhere on Synaptics touch pad driver issues, I think we know where the problem lies.

I had previously disabled the device, removed the software drivers and so on, which stopped it filling the event log with crap (as you'd expect, with the software not present) but that seemed to cause other problems and I would like to be able to use the touchpad when not on a desk with a (wired or wireless) mouse.

The machine also has frequent hangs, for a minute at a time, which may be related to this issue, or may be a further problem, perhaps related to either the network or the disk. Very hard to tell, as doing anything on the machine would involve the network and/or the disk, as well as the keyboard and/or mouse.

A very frustrating problem to deal with and makes me seriously suspicious of the quality of HP products and the firmware they ship with it. Hey, even the error message in the Event Log has a typo in it; implying weak quality control, I'd say,

HP Recommended

Well I have now tried a few different boots using msconfig to stop things from running.

An absolute minimal boot doesn't help as Event Log service isn't running, so the problem can't be seen 😉

But with very little running, Synaptics lanuch crap error message still appears.

Running without that software, no surprise, it doesn't write the message. How could it?

So, do you now agree the problem is related to the software?

What do you suggest next?

HP Recommended

@J__R__,

Hi and thanks for posting back.  For any information on how to manage and control programs in the operating system that is something you would have to check the how to forums at Microsoft.  As for the software being the issue you will have to check the Windows Event Logs to see if there are any conflicts or errors.  If I had been seeing multiple cases of this problems I would peg it to the software.  However,  you are the only one so far. 

You can try to run a clean reconfiguration to factory spec by running the Windows recovery.  Here is the link to help you with that.

HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)

Please let me know how things go.  Thanks again and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I just discovered the same problem as the previous poster. The SynTPEnhService is writing information records to my application event log exactly once every 5 seconds. I can't tell when it started because it is logging so many records that the log won't hold more than a few days data.

I have an HP laptop Envy about 2 years old. I just upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's possible the problem started with windows 10.  Last time I checked the event log (before the Windows 10 upgrade) I didn't see these records - if they were there, there weren't enough to catch my attention.

Possibly drivers have problems in Windows 10?

HP Recommended

I also just started getting this issue recently, im also in windows 10,  ive been in windows 10 for a while now however, and the issue is much more recent, within the last week or so.

HP Recommended

Same problem here - started when I installed Windows 10. Please, let's get a resolution defined for this. It took me a while to track down this post, and if several other people have tracked it down as well, I'd say this is a widespread issue.

HP Recommended

Not on an HP laptop, but I'm experiencing the exact same thing on a Lenovo laptop running the latest Windows 10. What seems to be happening is that it keeps attempting to reopen the Synaptics TouchPad Enhancement program. I pulled up Task Manager and watched that process and every 5 seconds a second instance would appear and then disappear. My solution was just to end the task that isn't appearing and disappearing, but the issue reappears after a restart.

Maybe its a larger issue with Windows 10 + Synaptics? Is anyone also experiencing are you hearing the device disconnect and reconnect sound happening at random times? Might be related if others are experiencing both these events.

HP Recommended

Just registered here to let you know guys I'm suffering the same issue under windows 7 on laptop of another brand. So, it's not about windows 10 completely.

I am not sure but it's like I have latest synaptics software (the brand's website provides with its own direver package but the version mentioned is the latest).

The file SynTPEnh.exe is restarting under SynTPEnhService.exe about every 3 seconds.

Sometimes it does not happen after OS random reboot.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.