Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen HP laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to be able to use my headset (microphone and headphones) as only headphones, and use the laptop's built in microphone. But whenever I plug in my headset, the laptop automtically switches to using my headset mic. Is there any way to change this?

On my old Dell, when I first plugged in my headset, I was prompted to select how I wanted to use it, and I would just select headphones so that that the laptop continued to use its own microphone while I used the headphones of my headset. I've been unable to find a similiar option on my Omen. The built in mic is better than the mic on my headset, and that's why I want to continue using it.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following image shows information from my HP lloan machine

headset.png

As you can see those bars, both internal microphone and microphone from headset are active/ready but the default is the headset. Now, please try to right click the internal microphone and select it as default.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

When I open the recording options, there is no option to select between my connected headset or the built in mic.

Screenshot (12).png

To be clear though, despite the headsite not showing up here (or in the Playback tab), it is using the mic on the headset when plugged in. On the Bang & Olufsen audio control, when the headset is not plugged in I can alter the input settings, but when the headset is plugged in, I cannot alter the settings because the system is using the headset mic.

HP Recommended

Hi, which headset do you have ? 

Have you updated/installed drivers?

HP Recommended

It's by Velodyne Acoustics, specifically this pair. I don't see where on the description it states they have a mic, but on my pair the mic is on the back of the inline controls built into the audio line.

All of the audio drivers are up to date, but I'm still having the same issue.

HP Recommended
The only way to exclude the headphones mic is actually switch the cable with one that doesn't have a mic on it, just a simple cable with two male 3.5mm jack.
There's not actually another way I think.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.