Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-w033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While doing stuff - gaming, netflix, office work, anything - the screen sometimes randomly goes black. It's still illuminated, but it's black. Everything still works, if netflix is up the show keeps playing. If I'm on skype or chat, it still keeps running as if they screen works fine. It's very frustrating, I bought my first omen on Monday, returned it yesterday citing this problem and replaced it hoping it was a hardware issue. It apparently is not, because this one is doing the same exact thing.

Things I have done:

Updated everything. BIOS. The Nvidia GTX 865M. The Intel HD Graphics 530 driver. Thermal Framework. Display audio drivers. If I could update it, it's been updated.

Reset everything: clean wipe and reset.

Changed laptops entirely.

This might seem minor, but if anything the issue is happening more frequently than before. I like the performance... except for this issue, this is a deal breaker, and I would have to have to return this laptop and find a different one.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.
If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same issue, my model is the OMEN by HP 17-w006np.

Sometimes the screen goes totally black, you can still notice the backlight bleed and everything app keeps running normally, i bought this laptop last Sunday 28 of August and this has already happened twice.

Other then that the system has somehow created a random 256 Mb disk partition and says I can't acess it...

I love everything else about this laptop and i read many reviews before purchasing it.

My sister has an older HP laptop that had cooling issues from day 1, so that made me rather hesitant to acquire an HP laptop but i still gave your brand a chance.

It doesn't matter that you cut on your prices if, for that to happen the computer is bound to have problems...

I'm seriously thinking about returning this laptop to the store in case these problems persist...

Best Regards,

João Almeida

HP Recommended

Hey there!

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that you have a display issue with your PC.

Try few steps recommended below.

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a removable battery, use the following steps:

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
  3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
  4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
  5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
  6. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
  7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
  9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key

Use this link for further troubleshooting: http://hp.care/2bC4hcR

Let me know how it goes.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
In the end, I went through 4 brand new HP omens, all had the same issue, all getting the support answer of 'send it in for repairs' (I don't think I should lose my laptop for a month fresh out of the box for repairs). But, in the end, I fixed it. The resolution to the HP Omen screen flickering issue isn't to update the BIOS and the Drivers or anything like that, those solutions don't do anything - the solution is a lot easier than that: all you have to do is go back to where you bought it and swap it for an Asus or other, better suited laptop! Because 4 out of 4 fresh out of the box suggests a systemic problem with the product, not the customer.
HP Recommended

Hi, I got a pretty similiar Probelm. With my Omen W102ng the Problem is, that it is always often showing a black screen when im starting a game and almost everytime I tab out of a fullscreen game... I could Avoid this problem with many games by switching to Borderless Window. But this solution is kinda frustrating and doesn't work for all games. But even when there is a black screen, the sounds keep playing and when i open the Taskmgr it briefly shows the system bar and then switches back to blackscreen. The drivers should all be uptodate. Is there already a fix?

HP Recommended

I also experience exactly the same issue with my new HP Omen 17inch 16gbram SSD128  and HD2tb. It works and in the middle screen is blank. Sometime screen becomes like barcode while browsing particularly. Once colse and open it will become ok. I regret why i bought HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.