Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
17-w053dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an OMEN HP Laptop PC - 17-w053dx the other day. It came with a 256gb SSD and a 1tb hdd. The hdd is clicking, and it annoys me. It tests fine with the HSGT and HP UEFI tests. I could claim it under warranty, but since it only costs $50, I decided to replace it with a 500gb SSD.

Question.

The current 256gb SSD is the boot drive C: .

The current 1tb hdd is the storage drive 😧 and E: .

E: is the recovery drive.

If I restore the 1tb hdd to a smaller 500gb SSD, and I keep the same size and location for the recovery drive,

will the built in recovery still work? Or, are there any specific requirements to keep it functioning?

I have already made a complete set of recovery discs as well as Acronis and Windows backups, so I was thinking of just blowing out the recovery drive if it is not going to function anyway. And if I kept everything in place with the original 1tb hdd, I could always just re-install it to bring the unit back to original condition. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello, @pl100 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! I’d like to be of your assistance!

I understand that you are trying to perform recovery on your HP Omen. I am afraid that recovery using the HP recovery media will not support recovery on a separate hard drive using the HP recovery discs. HP recovery discs allow you to install OS and partition on a single drive. 

Go to http://hp.care/2cf8noz and check under “System recovery using media you created”.

However, you can check with Acronis software if they have the option.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

FYI, the computer was setup like this from HP.

Disk 1 256gb SSD C: Windows

Disk 2 1tb SATA 😧 Storage

E: RECOVERY

Edit: I have not changed anything

HP Recommended

Hello, @pl100

As per my limited knowledge, the setting that you specified is not possible as the recovery image can be created only at the factory service center and not at the user end.

For further assistance, I would recommend you contact the HP phone support. they would be able to take a remote control and assist you better.

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

For anyone interested in the results of my question, I believe it works fine. The only thing I have not tested is a full HP system recovery. But, the HP Recovery Manager is working fine from Windows 10. F11 loads the RECOVERY menu fine and F2 loads the UEFI test menu fine. And each menu item works.

First, I purchased a PNY 480GB CS311 SSD from Ebay/Newegg for $129.

Then I took a snapshot of the disk drive in WINDOWS ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>  COMPUTER MANAGEMENT> DISK MANAGEMENT. I noted that the RECOVERY PARTITION was set to 12.2GB at the end of the second drive.

UNTITLED.jpg

booting into Acronis 2017 by DVD, I prepared the new drive in the GPT format. 

Then, since I replaced a larger 1TB hdd drive with a smaller 480GB ssd drive, I needed to shrink the partition. But, I did not want to shrink the RECOVERY PARTITION.

So, I created a 434.80GB partition leaving 12.20GB available at the end of the drive. I created a second partion of exactly 12.2GB. Next, I restored the 12.2 GIG RECOVERY PARTION from a backup I previously made of the HP 1 TB DATA Drive from an external USB 3.0 drive.

Once that was complete, I recovered the rest of the drive to the remaining 434.80 GB available space. (Acronis automatically resizes/shrinks this for you.)

At first when I booted into Windows, it did not see the new drive.  I saw a triangle and some error message in Windows 10 about a duplicate driver. So I rebooted and everything is back to normal.

Also, it is VERY nice to have an all SSD computer. As I type this, I have yet to hear the fan. Another plus.

HP Recommended

Hi @pl100, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply and glad that system image created using Acronis worked. Please do post any of your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Please do post any of your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Pl100

Nice work on setting up the new SSD. .

I would say you are in good shape and it is best to use Acronis for backups and recoveries on the new SSD.

Personal experience with HP Recovery media is it will most likely choke when it sees the 480 GB SSD unless a 480 GB SSD data drive was an option at purchase. The HP recovery media works fine with new HDD's or SSD's that are either equal to or larger than the factory installed drives. HP recoveries usually fail if the new drive is smaller than the factory drive.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thanks Grzwacz. That was the kind of input I was looking for. And good to know going forward. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.