Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I own a <1 month old Omen 15 and I am experiencing random freezes during high demand gaming, the same freeze is observed in Far Cry 4, GTA V and Witcher 3. It occurs every 15-30 minutes, the screen would freeze for 5-15 seconds, audio is usually unaffected but sometimes that freezes and makes a constant sound. During the freeze I am not able to execute any other windows command such as Alt tab, CtrlAltDel etc. after 5-15 seconds every resumes to normal, and i get very decent FPS for all 3 games. This situation is however not observed in less demanding games such as League of legends.

I have updated nvidia driver to the latest, tried reinstalling games as well as refreshing my sytem using the windows built in option.

Specs is this laptop here http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-omen-15-5000na-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-15-6-touch-screen...

Any advice appreciated,

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi there @BPang

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I understand that you are seeing the occasional freeze or lag when running higher performance games on your notebook. I am happy to help with this.

Under normal circumstances I do not advise playing high end games on a notebook, due to the excessive heat generated when a GPU is working harder, besides the fact that most notebooks are not really optimized for game use. However there are still some things you can try to improve this situation. I would advise looking through these pages, as there is likely something within that will help.

HP PCs - Resolving slow system performance (Windows 😎
HP PCs - Windows 8 stops responding or becomes very slow after connecting to the Internet

Let me know if it makes a difference for you.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem. Out of curiosity, how hot is your computer running when it freezes up (It could be the gpu/cpu throttling)? Mine definetly doesn't feel that hot and fans sometimes have barely kicked in before. I think it may be some kind of Software issue. Look at this guys post, I think he also had the same problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HP-Omen-system-hangs/td-p/4990788

I'm going to try the same on my computer and see how it runs. I read that you also tried "using the windows build in option" may I also ask which option?

I just want to let the support agent know that the HP Omen is equipped with a GTX 860m which is marketed as a gaming notebooke card. This notebook is supposed to be designed to run the most demanding games even if it can't reach maximum settings. I bought this notebook because it was marketed as a GAMING notebook (http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/omen-15-204076--1#!&TabName=features) (It says the next generation of gaming!!!) Your quote "Under normal circumstances I do not advise playing high end games on a notebook, due to the excessive heat generated when a GPU is working harder, besides the fact that most notebooks are not really optimized for game use" is essentially telling us that the "next generation of gaming" is not really optimized for game use. Just wanted to let you know that so that next time, maybe you'll read through OP's post and details before pasting some standard reply that really is unfit for his situation. Cheers :Wink: 

HP Recommended

So, i have exactly the same Problem, i had it with Windows 8.1 and now with 10. I hoped that it would be fixed with Windows 10, error is still there. Sometimes you can't even view a movie. The system hangs. When will HP be so kind and fix it?? Support is not responding. Since the BIOS is so **bleep** limited (Thank you HP) you can'T change the Drive mode to hot-swap, you can't change it from RAID to another setting (helped in other cases), Diagnostics says everything is ok, but still, system freezes, even after new installation. There seems to be something wrong - maybe the BIOS, maybe the Chipset driver.  I already got in touch with SanDisk about a Firmware Update, but the said "the SSD is made for HP only, only for Omen, so we are not in care of it, contact HP".

HP - are you serious? I bought a laptop for 2000$ from you, and now the support won't respond the Service is pretty much not available, please fix this problem. I'm not the only one out there .....

HP Recommended

Was this ever resolved? I only play one game with my HP Omen, and it isn't exactly demanding, a 90's game Age of Empires. So no reason for this laptop to get these freezes during gameplay.

I use a cooling mat, and the maximum temperature it reached during playing for a few hours, at a LAN, was 70C on one core, and sub 50's on the others. I'm on windows 10, but this was a problem before this, for the same game.

Bought this as a Gaming laptop, and random freezes during a low end game, is rediculous.

Looking forward to a response.

HP Recommended

I have this same problem and it needs to be looked at further. The OMEN is sold as a high end gaming laptop, so after purchasing it is unacceptable to say:

"Under normal circumstances I do not advise playing high end games on a notebook, due to the excessive heat generated when a GPU is working harder, besides the fact that most notebooks are not really optimized for game use. "

Built for Gaming.png

Omen claims.png

So either one of two things is the case. This is a known issue that needs to be resolved... or your advertising department is making false claims to move laptops.

I have had this happen even in low end gaming, so something with memory management or whatever is capping out and the system completely freezes and is non-responsive. Even to "Ctl + Alt  + Del"

Please get on this. It should have been resolved already in my opinion.

HP Recommended
Has there been any fix yet??? I'm mostly running fallout 4 and world of Warcraft and it is mind boggling to get these 15 sec freezes during gameplay. I never did much with the laptop when I first purchased it before Windows 10 install. I can't seem to recall if the issue happened before the upgrade to 10 on WoW. I am always manually setting the fan speed to max before launching games to help prevent heating for as long as possible. Does the OS change fan speed when needed? Is it a setting to put fan on auto? I have checked the speed mid gaming session and "normal"is always selected without my changing it.
HP Recommended

This is HP boards, can someone atleast reply to this, with an update. I love HP, but this feels like no one gives a **bleep**.

HP Recommended
I say don't bother. I just recently sold my HP OMEN because of these issues and lack of anything from HP. It was marketed as a gaming notebook and it is terrible at it. I went back to ASUS. ASUS has never let me down and are cheaper cost that this POS.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.