Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
H8-1380t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I install the card the display don't see the graphics card and the monitor gose to sleep, the system power off for a few seconds then power back up and hang. My power supply is a 460 amp supply 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Willienix, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that after upgrading the graphics card on your PC the monitor goes to sleep.

I have checked the specification of your PC and there are Two PCI Express x16 slots (Gen 2.0)

However, according to the graphics card specifications, it uses a PCIe 3.0 x8 connection and GDDR5 memory for the RX 460

It looks like the graphics card is not compatible with the system board.

Refer the system board specification page for more information.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for you time but this is not what I wanted to hear. I was a senior engneer for DEC and I remember how they put a mass bus adapter in between the CDC standard bus to drive ut the price and other companies just went around them with simple unibus adaptors. I will buy another system but it will be geniric.

HP Recommended

@Willienix, thanks for the response.

I thought that was the question you had asked in your previous thread.

So, I had mentioned being a possible issue with the graphics card.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I’m trying to improve my gaming performance, if you had said given you system configuration  these or this graphic card will work best to do that, then I could see a thumbs up or your system won’t except any graphic card upgrade. Thanks

HP Recommended

HI @Willienix,

I reviewed the post regarding the graphics card upgrade. Let me jump in here to give you some information.

Fabulous analysis.  Terrific diagnosis of the issue as well before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 It is paramount to address this for you. We definitely value your relation with HP and it is a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

Going by the product specifications of the computer’s motherboard and the power supply, on paper, it looks compatible.

However, there are a few factors that need to be kept in mind.

• Form Factor of the GPU to be housed in the Tower.
  • The type of Power Supply required.
  • The connectors of the power supply
  • The PCIE slot.
  • RAM requirement.
  • You could actually check all the right boxes relating to these for the Form Factor, power supply, PCIE slot and required RAM. Your computer meets all the requirements.
  • However, please check the power supply connector type should match the power connector of the  Radeon RX 460 GPU. That is paramount. If it does then the GPU should work with your computer.
  • Also, The bios needs to be checked. Sometimes you may have an older bios version and the graphics card may not support it. It could support the latest UEFI bios but may not support this bios version and that may explain the black screen that you see when the GPU is installed.

• I would suggest that you contact a local Bet Buy or Staples technician for better clarity before proceeding with the upgrade.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by

HP for optimal performance. However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

So please contact a local Best Buy or staples technician and perform the upgrade so that there are no compatibility issues with the GPU upgrade for your computer and everything works smoothly.

The product specifications of the computer support only these list of cards: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-Desktop-PC-series/5258496/model/5261722/docum...

• GeForce GT 630 (2 GB)
  • GeForce GT 640 (3 GB)
  • Radeon HD 6850 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7570 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7570 (2 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7670 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7770 (2 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB)
  • If it is possible, you could return the Radeon RX 460 GPU and go for one of these cards that are listed in the product Specs and that should do the trick for you. What is suggested is the Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB) GPU if it is available.
  • Please check out eBay, Amazon or  a local Staples or Best Buy location

The service guide could also help you here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02871896

I have tried to be as comprehensive as possible.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks I did check the bios and the chip set and they are way behind but there was a warning that if i up grade from the manufactor I colud have other problems if I didn't get them from HP and if I needed to do a system restore and had upgraded the bios it would fail. 

When I first move up to windows 10 it didn't work right, so I tried to restore windows 7 from a image backup and it would hang when I did the last check box and after restoring to the factoy settings and reinstalling everything severar time, the updates take a day. I just didn't want that much trouble again so if I feel like later I might buy a generic system with the best match of graphic cards, so the new doom will have to wait, Thanks for your help.

Willie Nixon

HP Recommended

Hi Willienix,

I reviewed your candid reply. I understand the situation completely and understand where you are coming from.

Brilliant effort and great troubleshooting. Hats off you for that. 🙂 

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been commendable and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I genuinely hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time once it gets fixed. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.