Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

To recap, I suggest ALL issues with HP printers and HP WEB can be resolved by doing the following:

Either:

1. Use DHCP for the printer.

Or:

2. Assign a static IP address and configure Primary and secondary DNS addresses.

The issue seems to be caused by the printer not finding DNS servers on their own if they are configured with static IP addresses. Look what happens to your PC IPV4 configuration if you use a static IP address.  Same issue.

HP Recommended

Hi MattatHome, in answer to you request for DNS logging, take a look at this:

Event viewer
    Applications and Services Logs
        Microsoft
            Windows
                DNS Client Events
                    Operational
Enable this, and events will be logged here.

Best of luck!

HP Recommended

Yes, I tried using DHCP with the printer, and I even did a full reset after doing this. I also tried assigning a static IP address in the printer configuration, and this including manually configuring the primary and secondary DNS server. No matter what I do, I cannot enable web services, seemingly because the printer can't communicate with HP.

Separately but perhaps related, when I upgrade the firmware on the printer from my PC, it appears to be successful but the printer continues to report it is using a very old version. I wonder, did you happen to also have this problem when you were similarly having issues enabling web services?

HP Recommended

RHemes, thanks for the suggestion about enabling DNS logging. However, I need to see what is happening when the printer tries to resolve the HP domain and connect to it. That is to say, I need to see a log either from the printer itself, or else a detailed log from my router. In both cases the available logs do not have the needed level of detail. The connection doesn't go through my Windows PC, so logs there will not help.

HP Recommended

Matt, I forgot that way back when I first got the printer I had problems which turned out to be due to Internet Explorer. I fixed that by switching to Google Chrome. Incidentally I am now on Windows 10 Pro.

I upgraded the firmware in the printer a month or so ago, and that made little difference. My issues are now all resolved as the printer is using my usual DNS and is configured with a static IP, and can communicate with HP Web and accepts HP Eprint requests. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.