Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet Ink Advantage Ultra 4729 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought above printer. I enabled eprint service , added my printer to my account in hpsmart website. I thought to change eprint preferences to this printer from color to monochrome. I searched support websites, videos etc every where it showing it’s possible to change preferences in hpsmart website, but I don’t see them in my account. There it showing only eprint address change and eprint permission tabs.

Can  someone clarify me do this printer model eligible for those additional eprint preferences change

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@GLBS 

I am familiar with the ePrint preferences setup you are seeking.

I used to see this option on an old printer - I cannot remember the last time I saw it, it might have been on the Officejet Pro 8630 or maybe even the 8740.  

Regardless, the "Preferences" setup for ePrint options does not seem to be around anymore for the printer I have today.

I think preferences might have gone the same way as "ePrint History".  Poof, gone.

What?  As in, the setting is no longer there, we cannot set the job preferences.

HP Smart / HP Connected Login

Click Flag to switch to your region

What happened?

No idea - I don't think the issue is not that you cannot find it - the setup is apparently gone.

Might be "some printers", might be all printers.  I don't have any way to check that part.

What to do?

Is there any other way to send gray-scale to the ePrint email address?

Yes.

Consider:

• HP Smart for Windows can be used to Share , that is, send content to your email address.
  • Connect the email address to Windows Mail.  For example, add to Windows the same email address that you use to log into HP Smart / HP Connected.  Alternatively, add any email address you like to Windows Mail and then add that email address as an "allowed sender" in your HP Smart / HP Connected account for that printer.
  • HP Smart for Windows can scan in gray scale.
  • Open HP Smart for Windows
  • Set to Scan
  • Scan either document PDF or JPEG
  • Set the scan to Gray
  • Scan the item
  • Click Share
  • Select Mail
  • Select the "from" address as one that is allowed to send to your ePrint address
  • Select to send to an address of your choice AND add the address send to your printer's email address (something@hpeprint.com)
  • Wait a minute or so...
  • Close HP Smart for Windows
  • Open your email used to send the job
  • Look for a new email "ePrint Job Received"
  • Click on the "status" link in that email.
  • Wait and Wait to see if the ePrint job ever prints.

Discussion

I've used this method in the past (and for todays’ test) and it does usually work.  Not always, but it has worked most of the time.

This time I had to restart the printer to untangle the jobs.  This is not usually possible if you are using ePrint in the first place because you are not in the office with your printer.  In so much that I am aware, the need to restart the printer during today’s test is not significant – that is, this is not a consequence of using HP Smart, rather something else “went sideways” this time.

What else about using this method?

Be aware of the restrictions, of course - size of the job sent to ePrint, for example, cannot be larger than 10MB.

The second annoyance is that restriction for photos always printing on 4x6 (photo) paper.  In the case of my printer, the “photo” job sent to ePrint insists on printing on the envelopes that I have in the alternate / custom tray.  Meh.  Now I have more envelopes with test photos at one end.  Is fine...

What if?

At the least, you will have a copy of the email (including the attachments) in the "choice" email, that is, the email to which you sent the scan job in addition to having sent the job directly to the ePrint address.

With the extra copy of the email having been sent to your "choice" address, you can, when you are connected to your home network, print the email with the gray-scale attachment.

Meh.  All of this Optional, of course.  Ignore the idea if you don't like it.

Finally, as I recall, this method also works with HP Smart for Mobile.

References

Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.