Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have used the printer and scanner for a year now and it's worked perfectly however I now try to run HP Smart from the start window and it just flashes up for a moment and then disappears I tried unistalling and reinstalling but get the same thing. I turned the printer off by pulling the wire out when it was on, waited 60 secs, then plugged back in - no change. I tried scanning a doc using the printers menu but it couldn't connect to my PC. This means I can't print or scan.

Any thoughts on how do I fix this?

Mike

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@mike_bike_kite

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

With determination and perseverance to assist! 😉

I understand you need support, and I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I'll need more details:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: Click here

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.)

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned on this link: Click here (Go through the FAQs > Why can't I print to my printer?)

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

To thank me for my efforts to help you,

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer is a HP Envy 4527 though the problem seems to be with the HP Smart software. Last time I used the printer (and HP Smart) was about 2 weeks ago. Reinstalled HP Smart but it made no difference. The first document you link to doesn't seem to exist. The second document just tells me how to use HP Smart but it doesn't open long enough for me to use it.

PS Sorry for the delay, was expecting an email to alert me of responses (I'll check my spam folder).

HP Recommended

@mike_bike_kite

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

Not sure why the link didn't work, however I have updated the same now, and it should work fine: Click here to verify,

either way, I'm glad you've posted the printer model name as that's the whole purpose of using the above link, that said, did you scroll down to the bottom and read under "Why can't I print to my printer" using the second link? if not, please do and let me know if that works.

Click here to view a related post that addresses a similar concern.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge - "victorious")

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The new link works fine and allows me to identify my printer. The old link didn't work because it was a different link. Unfortunately my problem is nothing to do with my printer. My problem is the HP Smart software starts and then immediately crashes with no message to say why.

The link you gave me was for someone that couldn't install the HP Smart software. I have HP Smart installed, it just doesn't work and I can't print or scan anything. In the link you gave me the poster was complaining that you weren't reading his posts. You then said that you were glad his problem was solved! The irony made me laugh.

Is there anybody with any technical knowledge back there?

HP Recommended

@mike_bike_kite

Thank you for replying with this detailed response,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Minor correction, the post I redirected you towards isn't my post, it's some other tech, the only reason I got you there is so that you could attempt the steps suggested by the community member and install all available windows updates, and then reinstall the HP SMART APP from the windows store, if that has been done and yet the issue persists, there's seems to be an issue with the windows profile, you may try creating a new user account and check if that works.

If nothing works, please uninstall the HP Smart App, and make use of the full feature software: Click here to install the same.

I hope that answers your query,

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

Did you ever get HP Smart to work?  If so, what did you do?  I have an HP Deskjet 3052A but it's doing the same thing.  HP Smart window comes up then it closes before loading.  Please let me know how you solved this problem.

Thanks!

Teri

HP Recommended

PFU No.: M2U85-64001

I have not made any attempts to fix it.

It has never worked.

HP Recommended

I have same issue my HP laptop.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, made sure Windows 10 is up to date, printer drivers up to date, turned computer off and on, put left arm up and sat on right thumb.  HP Smart still closes after a couple of seconds.  Microsoft says it is a HP Smart software issue and HP after several chats, remote sessions says it is a Windows problem.  Funny, I have a Dell desktop with Windows 10 with no issues with HP Smart.  And yes the os is up to date along with drivers.  Can someone come up with a solution?  

HP Recommended

Mine HP Smart is working now but sadly I can't remember what go it going. I would imagine I'd of reinstalled the printer from scratch. It might of been a wifi password having changed in our household. Sorry I can't be more help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.