Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My HP277dw printer is connected via hardwire to a home network through a gigabyte switch.  The printer has a reserved IP address assigned by the router.  There are three PCs hardwired to the same switch (2 Windows 10 and 1 Windows 7).  The printer has always been powered only through an APS 1500SMT USP.  The printer was installed in January, 2017.  During this last year it lost the ability to print from my Samsung S7 which is wifi connected to the same network as the printer via.  The printer also stopped automatic duplex printing, but I was able to turn auto duplex printing on today.  

I cannot enable web services, which I understand is required for printing from my phone.  When I try to update the LaserJet, or try to enable web services, I get the message :  "The printer is unable to connect to the service.   Check the Internet connection".  I can print from every PC to the printer, and the network has reliable internet connection.  (Another problem is that the HP277dw cannot scan to one of the Windows 10 PCs.)  I have HP Print Service Plugin and HP Smart on my Samsung, but neither can find the printer.  When I try the "Default Print Service" on the S7 to add the printer, using the printer's IP address, it cannot find the printer.

Thank you.   

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If your goal is to print from your phone over Wi-Fi on your home network, you do not need to enable web services. The printer and your phone just need to be on the same network. Mobile options include: 

- iOS/Android: Use the HP Smart mobile app (install from the app stores) to print to the printer 

- iOS: Use Airprint to print to the printer from your iOS devices. Airprint is built into the iPhone OS, you don't need to install anything to use it. 

- Android: Use the HP Print Plugin to print from the printer. Install/update from the Google Play store. 

www.hp.com/go/mobileprinting should have what you need to help you to enable/use printing from your mobile device to your printer. 

HP Recommended

I have the HP Print Service Plugin (which leads to HP Smart) on my Samsung, but neither can find the printer.   When I try to add the printer using its IP address through the "Default Print Service" on the Samsung, it reports it cannot find the printer.  I just reinstalled the HP Print Service Plugin and have the same result. 

I was able to print to the HP277dw until about six or eight months ago, then it suddenly stop being able to.  That might have been about the time that the auto duplex also stopped working, although the two would seem unrelated

The printer and the phone are on the same network.

HP Recommended

Do you have any devices connected to Wi-Fi on your network that can see the printer over Wi-Fi? (Sounds like all your PCs are all on ethernet.) Can you confirm that any other device (phone, tablet, or computer w/wi-fi capability) connected to your wi-fi network can see/print to the printer over Wi-Fi? 

When you're trying to print from the HP Print Service plugin, are you printing from an app via the "Print" option in that app, or are you sharing a jpg or pdf to the Print Service plugin from an app via its Share option? 

Sounds like you're unable to add the printer to the HP Smart app. In the HP Smart app on your phone, when you try to add the printer to the app (by hitting the "+" sign on the app home screen), do you see any error messages on the Printers screen that appears, or does your printer just never show up when you go to that screen? 

Is there any coincidence in timing between setting a reserved IP address for the printer and losing the ability to print to it over Wi-Fi? 

HP Recommended

Great questions.   I had to check.  I used my laptop connected wirelessly to the same network and was able to add and print to the printer.

It has had a reserved IP since I got the printer during which time I could print ising HP Print Service Plug In.

I try to print from other apps, not from the plugin directly.   The plugin and HP Smart cannot find the printer.

HP Recommended

Wrote a detailed reply last night that has disappeared...thanks, HP, for deleting my post. 

What I suggested is: 

1. Clear data on the Google Print Spooler and all installed print plugin services 

• Settings>Apps or Applications, enable the Show System Apps option from the menu on that screen, and then find Print Spooler, Default Print ServiceHP  Print Service Plugin and any other print plugin you have installed, and select them and use the option to Clear Data from their app info screen. 

2. Try to print again 

If still no joy, then I'd suggest removing your IP reservation from your router, restoring netwok defaults on the printer (via networking menu on the printer control panel). That will remove the printer from your network. Then add the printer back to your wireless network using the printers Wireless Setup Wizard (also on the printer's networking menu). Then try printing again from your phone, and also check to see if the HP Smart app can now see the printer when you use the + option in the app to add a printer. Maybe reboot your phone after getting the printer back on the network. You can add the IP reservation back in if you want afterwards. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.