Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
M254dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

M254dw is set up connected with wifi connection within a VLAN for that office, connected to a nearby Netgear wifi access point. We don't want the WiFi Direct function and keep turning it off. It keeps turning itself back on at random times, and then the printer's commendably strong transmitter starts broadcasting (the WiFi Direct beacon, causing conflict with the very same wifi access point that connects the printer, but also killing the wifi for nearby users. How can we get WiFi Direct to stay off permanently?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@GNBC 

On many printers, the Wi-Fi Direct setting is easily switched on / off because the toggle (disable / enable) setting is on the printer control panel.  This is a matter of either educating people to avoid the setting or perhaps locking the printer feature that controls the setup / network.

Try / Consider

Control whether the printer control panel will allow / disable the Wi-Fi Direct setting using the Embedded Web Server (EWS).

Be Aware:  If you are not now using a Printer Security password and decide to use this feature, know that if you lose the printer password, the printer will be effectively be locked for any of the features controlled by the printer password.  Do NOT (repeat NOT) lose track of the printer password.  Our community cannot help if you lose the printer password:  We are not HP Support and we cannot determine device ownership.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab System > Administration

READ everything carefully, consider, then act.

Resource / Reference

User Guide

Chapter 5 Manage the printer - page 56

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,

Many thanks for responding!

Although I cannot completely rule out accidental activation via the touch screen, I don't think this is the problem, as I am the on ly one  in the room and it seems to become activated even when I am absent. Nevertheless I have now set up a password so that it can't be accidentally activated.

I also tried finding new firmware to download and udate the printer, but couldn't find this on the site, and kept going around in circles with a series of links taking me back to the same place each time, even if I tried different pahs and combnations.

Thanks again, and if the problem doesn't reappear in coming weeks, I will proclaim this as a solution! 🙂

Regards,

R

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.