Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Inspire 7924e

Hello.

With our old printer, we used ePrint service to send it emails with files to print when we weren't home, EVEN IF THE PRINTER WAS NOT POWERED ON. When turned on, it printed all the documents.

We bought a new printer (Envy Inspire 7924e) and it seems ePrint is no longer supported. So we use the HP Smart app to send print tasks when we are not at home. When the printer is online, it works.

But when the printer is powered off (which makes sense when we're not at home), it doesn't work. On Android, a message says "Printing in progress" for 5 minutes then disappears. On Windows, with "Smart Print" selected as printer, it keeps searching for the printer.

Could you help me ?

Regards.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ma1hi3u 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

ePrint does work differently from Print Anywhere.

True - If the job is not able to get through to the printer within the five minute timeout period, the job will be cancelled.

This means the printer must be switched on and connected as describe in the how-to document.

“Print Anywhere App” Supported on Select Printers (replaces the old ePrint feature)

Read here:

HP Printers - Print Anywhere with the HP Smart App

Step 3:  Use Print Anywhere

Read the FAQ section for details.

NOTE:  If a print job is blocked for more than 5 minutes, the HP Smart app cancels the job automatically.

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP ENVY Inspire 7924e All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer.

I understood that "Print Anywhere" requires the printer to be turned on.

So is there another way to send print jobs to the printer when it is turned off, just like it was possible with ePrint?
Because when I leave my home I don't want to leave my printer on.

HP Recommended

@Ma1hi3u 

You are welcome.

Sometimes the answer is "no".

No is universally unpopular when you are looking for "yes".

Another way to queue remote jobs and have them wait until you switch on the printer...

I've not seen "an app for that" although there might be one.

One thing to consider:

If you leave your home regularly and you switch off the printer each time, you are increasing the work that printer needs to do each time it's switch one, including using a little bit more ink and increasing the "wear and tear" on the mechanics.  A printer left on goes into a low power state but can still wake up for self maintenance -- and perhaps the other tasks required of it.

That said, I get it -- you want the printer off until you are home and ready to run the queued jobs.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Once again thank you for your answer.

Alright, got it.

Indeed I was rather expecting a "yes" because I did not expect such a huge regression by buying a newer and much more expensive printer than the previous one.

Going from ePrint which allowed you to send print jobs via a simple email, even with the printer off, and compatible with various document formats such as pdf, txt or docx to Print Anywhere which on Android requires the installation of 2 applications, which is compatible with PDFs only, which requires the 2 devices to be connected at the same time, it's quite surprising!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.