Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2652
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I recently just bought my printer hoping the setup would be effortless for me. Because my wifi is complicated,in order to connect devices to the wifi I have to add a MAC address to the router. During the setup I already knew that I would have to add the MAC address in order for the printer to work properly. But after adding the MAC address, and beginning the setup it would stall out at the end say (Preparing printer) forever. I waited patiently in hopes that it would work eventually but it never did. The printer shows to be connected to the network but it just says offline in HP Smart and I can't print anything. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Can you ping the printer from your Windows PC?

HP Recommended

How do I ping the printer?

HP Recommended

For example, on the pc open the command screen, type ping 192.168.1.10

Then press enter

HP Recommended

It just keeps saying Request Timed Out

HP Recommended

That means the printer is not connected to the network, or the router is isolating each device.

Try pinging something else on your network, if that works you will know its not the router isolating.

HP Recommended

Pinged my phone, keeps saying the same thing.

HP Recommended

Then the security setting on your router is keeping each device from connecting to each other.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.