Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have had my printer at least 3 years. First the wifi wouldn't work, now I have that back. My laptop won't recognize the printer so I can print from it. I set up HP Smart Print and when I set up to print, I get the notification on my HP app but no document is visible to print it. This is so frustrating. My laptop said no driver indicated so I cannot print from the laptop to the printer. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Barbarah02,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're dealing with a few different issues with your HP LaserJet M209dwe printer. Let's go through them step-by-step to try and get your printer working properly with your laptop.

1. Check Printer Connectivity

First, ensure that your printer is connected to your Wi-Fi network. Since you mentioned getting the Wi-Fi back, double-check to ensure it’s still connected:

• Printer's Control Panel: Use the printer’s display to confirm it’s connected to the correct Wi-Fi network.
  • Print a Configuration Page: This can usually be done directly from the printer's control panel and will show the current network settings and IP address.

2. Install or Update Printer Drivers

Since your laptop indicated that no driver is installed, this is a crucial step:

• Visit HP’s Support Website: Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads. Enter your printer model (HP LaserJet M209dwe) and download the latest drivers for your operating system.
  • Install Drivers: Run the downloaded file to install the drivers. During the installation, it might prompt you to connect to the printer; ensure your printer is on and connected to the same network as your laptop.

3. Set Up HP Smart

Since you have already installed HP Smart but are having issues, let’s try to troubleshoot:

• Update or Reinstall HP Smart: Ensure the HP Smart application is up-to-date. If it is and you're still facing issues, consider uninstalling and then reinstalling it.
  • Printer Recognition: Open HP Smart and see if the printer is recognized when the application starts. If not, use the app to search for the printer on your network.
  • Check for Errors: Look for any error messages within the HP Smart app that might give clues on what's wrong.

4. Check Document Visibility and Printing

If your printer is recognized but documents aren't visible or won't print:

• File Format: Ensure the document format is supported by HP Smart.
  • Print Queue: Check your laptop’s print queue to see if documents are getting stuck. You can usually access this through the printer icon in your system tray.
  • Restart Devices: Sometimes simply restarting both your printer and laptop can resolve connectivity issues.
  • Check Firewall Settings: Make sure your laptop's firewall or security software is not blocking the connection to your printer.
  • Direct Connection: If possible, try connecting your laptop directly to the printer using a USB cable to see if that bypasses the issue.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Rachel, I have completed those steps but still have issues. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Barbarah02 ,

We are sorry that the issue is not resolved when the above troubleshooting steps were performed.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.