Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5640
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Every time i send a document for printing I get an error message:  "printer in an error state".

This is new - up until 2 days ago I could print fine.  I have not changed anything.  I tried rebooting the laptop, and my router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@Cindy050

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer and everytime you try to print, there is a message stating "printer in an error state". I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Is the printer able to make a photocopy successfully? If yes then the evidence points towards a software/drivers issue. 
  • Did any other software changes or update stake place?
  • Is the printer able to print from any other device on the same network?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. This is a free tool for Windows to help resolve issues with the printer drivers. 

Post running the HP print and scan doctor if the printer still cannot print then let us uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them. The following steps will help:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may download and install the drivers from this link: www.123.hp.com

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know what happens. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Having the same problem. Have tried every suggestion below, and more. Was working fine, then showed as offline, now showing "Driver unavailable." In my update center, I did notice this under Driver updates: "HP - Printer - 6/9/2016 12:00:00 AM - 17.59.0.6180 Failed to install on 1/29/2018 - 0x8007078a"

HP Recommended

@FolksyHippo

Glad to have you back. 

Let us attempt to install the basic drivers and check if that helps. The basic drivers can be downloaded and installed via this link.

In case the issue persists with the basic drivers too then let us try installing the inbuilt printer drivers from the Microsoft operating system. The steps mentioned under "Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard" from this HP article

Hope this helps. Let me know the outcome. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I've done both of those. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software/printer. I have unplugged the printer/restarted my computer. I have deleted the driver from Device Manager and reinstalled. I have tried to install using Easy Start. Tried Print and Scan Doctor, to no avail.

HP Recommended

Don't know if this may help, but got this error when trying to add driver via Printer Driver Wizard.

capture20180130105233279.png

HP Recommended

@FolksyHippo

Hi,

This sounds like an issue with the Windows operating system. Due to some unknown reason, it is preventing the drivers from being installed. 

Following are the workaround that you may attempt:

If the issue still persists then it could be a problem with the Windows operating system. You may have to try installing the drivers on a different computer (if available).

Hope this works out. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi wrote:

@FolksyHippo

Hi,

This sounds like an issue with the Windows operating system. Due to some unknown reason, it is preventing the drivers from being installed. 

Following are the workaround that you may attempt:

If the issue still persists then it could be a problem with the Windows operating system. You may have to try installing the drivers on a different computer (if available).

Hope this works out. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

I am not using Windows 8, I'm using Windows 10 -- and "You may have to try installing the drivers on a different computer", seems to me to be unsatisfactory customer service. This printer was advertised to work with Windows 10 out of the box. I've had it for 2 days. It should work. The problem seems to be stemming from an unsupported driver.

HP Recommended

@FolksyHippo

Hi,

You yourself have mentioned the operating system as Windows 8 (32 bit) in your first post.

Anyways, all the steps that I mentioned work for Win8 and Win10 too. For managing and creating user accounts in Windows 10, this HP document will help.So we have not attempted anything incorrect till now. 

Trust me, I have done all I can to fix this issue. You could contact our HP phone support team and check if they could take a remote access of your PC and check the issue which could have been un-noticed till now. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi wrote:

@FolksyHippo

Hi,

You yourself have mentioned the operating system as Windows 8 (32 bit) in your first post.

Anyways, all the steps that I mentioned work for Win8 and Win10 too. For managing and creating user accounts in Windows 10, this HP document will help.So we have not attempted anything incorrect till now. 

Trust me, I have done all I can to fix this issue. You could contact our HP phone support team and check if they could take a remote access of your PC and check the issue which could have been un-noticed till now. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

While I appreciate your prompt replies, forgive me if I question the thoroughness with which you are approaching these posts and the problems they describe. I was not the original poster, rather had replied to that person's post. At no time did I indicate that I was running a Windows 8 (32 bit) setup.

I have identified the problem as a Windows update on 1/29. I have rolled back that update and can, again, successfully use my printer. After doing some work to backup my programs, I will be doing a restore of Windows 10 to see if this permanently remedies the problem while allowing me to receive updates.

Please take the time in the future to see which poster you are replying to and what their specific questions/needs are. We are all very busy, so this could save everyone time and effort in the long run.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.