Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 8725
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hi,

I am unable to reset my Embedded Webserver Settings for my HP OfficeJet 8725.

1)

I have changed the password via the printer's IP address however I can't access the EWS menu again (items are locked). 

2)

Have also tried: 

Username: ADMIN and admin

Password: BLANK and blank and - (no content)

3)

Have also resetted the network settings of the HP OfficeJet 8725 twice.

Who can help me out?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hello, @BB8725 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

Going through your post, this looks like the printer EWS got locked. Let's try performing a full factory reset on the printer as a last resort. I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Let me know how that goes!

Good luck!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I have a officejet pro 8720 with the same issue. All I want to do is get into the embedded web server and configure it, in principal for scan to shared drive type functionality (to a local NAS I have).

It seems strange. The documentation in the manual for my printer and similar models talks about using the embedded web server but there is no comment at all about resetting the credentials. I have tried the following without success:

* reset printer with soft-hard reset

* configure access via ethernet

* configure access via wifi

* look at all the options I could see on the printer panel but I do not see any settings to allow me to set or change the embedded web server.

* install HP Web jetadmin. This also seems to want crentials for the EBS password

* try to get help from support. This is funny. I'm British and I live in Spain so I tend to look at English language forums or pages for documentation as usually that is most up to date. HP.com's chat people get very upset that I was asking for help as they can only help people in the US. It was late at night when I contacted them so the UK staff would have been asleep.  They wanted to connect to my computer. I run linux so that caused them a problem: "we do not support linux...", yet the printer does not run linux (well it probably does but that's a different matter). Basically they did not want to _share_  information about how to do this.

* I contacted support in Spain. First they did not know what an embedded web server was. Then the same issue came up about wanting to connect to my computer rather than explain the solution. I told them I work in IT, so we should have been able to talk "technically" and that should have been easy.  In the end they said I might need "professional support" as this was complicated. I do not really understand this. The documentation talks about the embedded web server but provides very little detail.  If it is there I would expect we are supposed to be able to use it. Had I known I would be locked out of critical functionality I may well have chosen a printer by another manufacturer. It looks like it is too late.

So basically I am looking to do the same thing:

* get access to the "HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 Embedded Web Server" so that I can configure the printer to allow me to scan to a network device, but also for me to setup appropriate firewall and access rules to the printer, ensure the firmware is up to date, and generally manage the printer remotely.

Any help that can be offered to allow me to do this would be most welcome.

HP Recommended

Hello, @sjmudd

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

Going through your post, I see that you have taken a lot of time to try and reset the printer. do not worry, I will send you another private message with the instructions.

Please check the mailbox icon at the top right corner of your screen to access your inbox.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem.
The same tests were unsuccessful.

Is there a solution?

Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

@davicool,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to reset Embedded Web Server username and password of your Officejet pro 8720 all-in-one printer.

I will send a few steps in a private message.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I just had this same issue with an m600 series printer. HP sais to go to the security tab however with an EWS password set there is only one tab-information. Reseting the password through the control panel did not take. I had to do a partial clean.

What I did to finally get full access was:

Turn the printer off

Turn the printer on and hit the X button when the three lights come on.

Select Administrator and then Partial clean.

Hit back and Continue.

The printer will take a little bit longer to boot up and will come up with date/time settings. Have the e/u just hit okay through all of that unless they want to change something.

Once it boots up, It will have a new IP address because it changes itself to DHCP.   

If you need to set up a specific IP:

From the control panel the end user should hit Administration, Network Settings, embedded jet direct menu, tcp/ip, config method > Select manual

Then go back to IPv4 settings and enter the ip address and default gateway.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue with my Officejet 8740 

On the screen of the printer i have a login which requires a pin numbe ri have never set

On the EWS everything is locked and i need a user name and password - which i have not set up

I have tried resetting as recommended through the 4 clicks onthe right hand almost invisbl arrow button - but the reset takes me time, but doesn't make me any progess

HP Recommended

I mean left hand almost invisible arrow button

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, appreciate to have the step list for reset the password. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.