Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 14-dh0516sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Trying to use my new laptop with my living room TV as an extended display. The TV is connected to my AV amplifier with an optical cable (SPDIF) which operates successfully in 5.1 surround sound when I connect devices with hardwired HDMI. I have an Android TV box that can output 5.1 audio - I test it using a file called "Big Bucks Bunny", a test cartoon that supports all sorts of audio and video outputs that you use with Kodi so I know 5.1 works hooked up to the TV and thus into the AV amp. However in Android, Netflix only supports 2.0 audio using the Google Play app.

PC version of Netflix does support 5.1 audio playback but only when I plug it into the HDMI connection to the TV. When I switch to the MS WiDi V2 adaptor I can only get 2.0 sound out of it. Some googling has shown that 5.1 used to be supported in earlier Intel driver versions of the wireless display adaptor but since support stopped for the Intel drivers and Windows updates switched to more standard Miracast format it now only works in 2.0. The specs on the WiDi V2 suggest it is capable of supporting 5.1 audio but the drivers in Windows 10 do not support it.

Is there any way of changing to drivers that do support 5.1 audio over wireless or am I trailing an HDMI lead if I want higher quality sound with Netflix?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Guess it will have to be HDMI lead then....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.