Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit

We have a base image that we deploy to all workstations and drivers are applied after imaging. The light stays amber whether or not the device is actually muted, even after downloading and installing the latest driver. The wireless button works as expected.

Should the Volume Mute Button light always be amber or is it supposed to change color based on muted or not muted?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello Keslaa,

Your EliteBook is a Business model.  Your issue would be best answered on the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

@Keslaa, did you ever find an answer to your problem with volume button remaining amber? I too have installed all available drivers, the WiFi button works as expected.

HP Recommended

No. I never received a response nor has any other updates helped. While it seems a trivial or minor issue, several users have complained about it.

HP Recommended

Hey Keslaa,

Sorry for the delay in answer. I understand you are having issues with the sound button on your Laptop.

I checked the Manuals and this is what it indicates.

Amber: Computer sound is off.
Off: Computer sound is on.

Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

First, it seems backwards to me, that is the light is OFF then the sound is ON.

Second, the issue is that the light is ALWAYS ON, whether or not the sound is actually muted. No driver updates have fixed this.

Eric

HP Recommended

Hi Keslaa,

We are finding that the BIOS update is what is fixing some of the issues with Windows 7. If you follow this document it will show you how to do that.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Did anyone find a fix for this?  

FYI, the light isn't off when the volume is on, it's white(or it's supposed to be), and amber when muted.  

Mine has remained amber since my first OS reinstall which was years ago - the day I bought this laptop.  I've reinstalled the OS multiple times since then (and upgraded to Win8.1 and Win10) and also tried multiple 8470p laptops - we had another at the office.  I also noticed someone at the airport with the same laptop with an orange light and I asked him and sure enough, he had the same problem.  This is obviously a common issue with the 8470p.  I check almost monthly for bios updates, so I constantly remain current there.  Any other ideas?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Ok, this is ages old issue and this thread comes up as first in google, so there's a solution that worked for me twice:

- from the device manager uninstall whatever sound driver windows has automatically installed for you

- install audio driver from HP -> Support -> Drivers

- for windows 10 no driver is listed but the driver for windows 7 works fine for me

- if this still doesn't work consider updating BIOS, I don't remember if I did it the first time

HP Recommended

Confirm!

Sound driver for Windows 7 x64 works fine!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.