Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-ap0010ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. 🙂

When I start a video playing (online or a local file) it takes a second or three before the audio starts playing.  This only happens with headphones, not with the built-in speakers.  It isn't the headphones, they work just fine with other devices.

I've updated the audio drivers.  I've tried downgrading them.  I've tried using Microsoft's standard drivers... they didn't work at all.

Thank you.

~ andr01dm ~
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@andr01dm,

I suggest you try the below steps to resolve the issue:

Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\xxxx\PowerSettings

where 'xxxx' is one of keys which contains

DriverDesc value 'Realtek High Definition Audio'.

Note: There may be multiple ones containing PowerSettings,

for example 'Nvidia High Definition Audio'.

You'll find there three binary values and set them:

• ConservationIdleTime = ff ff ff ff;
  • IdlePowerState = 00 00 00 00;
  • PerformanceIdleTime = ff ff ff ff.

Default values are all 00 00 00 00 which disables power settings,

but driver somehow overrides it with 0a 00 00 00

which is 10 seconds (0x0a = 10) and is by default in the driver.

If the issue persists, please follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Let me know the outcome!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@andr01dm,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

I  would suggest here is to run the audio test from the F2 (Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance).

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If the audio test passes then the evidence indicates towards a software issue.

I would suggest you run the Windows update troubleshooter.

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the audio drivers from Device manager:

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers.

Then check the box delete the software for this device.

Restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and audio drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Once done, restart the computer.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, Jeet_Singh. 🙂

Thank you very much for those steps of possible fixes to try.  I have gone through all of them and it has made no difference... I still have a 3 second delay before the audio starts when I pause and re-start a video.  Only on headphones.

Do you have any other ideas?

A friend did a little online research for me and suggested it's a known bug with Realtek's audio hardware &/or drivers.

~ andr01dm ~
HP Recommended

@andr01dm,

As you have followed the steps suggested and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue. Don't worry let's try these steps here which should help you resolve this issue. 

Let's uninstall the audio drivers from device manager and then try to install the audio drivers from the Manufacturer's website.

If for some reason, it fails, then I would suggest here is to go ahead and uninstall the audio drivers once again from device manager and then put the check box next to delete this software driver for this device. 

Once done, please don't restart the computer. Go ahead and install the audio drivers from our HP support website.

The only drivers available for audio drivers are - Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver (Windows 10 v1803) - Click here to download and install.

Let me know how it goes!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, again.

Do you know where I can find the manufacturer's (Realtek) audio drivers?  I don't see anything on their website.

I already have the HP driver you suggested installed.

~ andr01dm ~
HP Recommended

@andr01dm,

I suggest you try the below steps to resolve the issue:

Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\xxxx\PowerSettings

where 'xxxx' is one of keys which contains

DriverDesc value 'Realtek High Definition Audio'.

Note: There may be multiple ones containing PowerSettings,

for example 'Nvidia High Definition Audio'.

You'll find there three binary values and set them:

• ConservationIdleTime = ff ff ff ff;
  • IdlePowerState = 00 00 00 00;
  • PerformanceIdleTime = ff ff ff ff.

Default values are all 00 00 00 00 which disables power settings,

but driver somehow overrides it with 0a 00 00 00

which is 10 seconds (0x0a = 10) and is by default in the driver.

If the issue persists, please follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Let me know the outcome!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, @Jeet_Singh. 🙂

The registry edits have fixed it.

~ andr01dm ~
HP Recommended

@andr01dm,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.