Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

No luck with that driver here, but strangely it did change the popping from 26 seconds to 31 seconds after the audio stops...so I guess some progress? 😄 

I've given up at this point and just moved the audio to the headphone jack on the laptop while it's in the dock. Isn't pretty but it at least works. 

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that.  I guess I got lucky.

HP Recommended

I too did not have luck. The drive looked promising however I noticed that it said Thunderbolt driver. My slimline dock has the slot on the side of the laptop that plugs into the dock. Not sure if it uses the same bus as Thunderbolt or not. Either way, I installed the driver that took like 30 minutes to complete and I too still have the popping. I did not yet reboot since I am currently working but I will do that later and see. My hope is high but I feel I will be disappointed lol.

HP Recommended

Yesterday after applying the driver update for the dock I didn't receive a single unsolicited sound but this morning after a reboot the issue is back.

HP Recommended

Dang, well I am an HPE partner so I will just reach out to them and see what they will can do.

HP Recommended

I worked with HP support and we were unable to resolve the issue. We tried many things including updates, different computers, and docks. The results were always the same. I pointed the tech to this thread and asked that it be escalated. I am currently sending them logs per request. We will see what HP comes up with.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. None of the above solutions helped me. Still got two loud popping sounds from my external speakers.  I have HP Elitebook 840 G6. I'm very disappointed. Brand new laptop such a crap. I wouldn't buy HP anymore. 

HP Recommended

I too have an Elitebook 840 G6 in an Ultraslim Dock with the same pop like sound roughly 15 seconds after a sound is made. At first I thought it was my company's image and after speaking to HP Support they suggested installing Windows from scratch no custom image. Just the install from Microsoft's Windows install download site. There was no difference. After installing Windows, I allowed Windows update to install all updates and missing drivers and they installed perfectly. Everything worked (with the exception of this sound popping issue). I then used the HPIA and installed all BIOS and Driver updates. They all installed without issue but the popping noise after 15 seconds of any sound was still there. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the sound drivers from HP Support as well as from Realtek to no avail. After a bit of troubleshooting and detective work. I noticed that the popping sound happens regardless of weather I have switched my sound output to the laptop speakers (clicking the speaker in the taskbar\notification area and selecting it) or if I have the audio switched to the external speakers connected to the docking station. 
What I've also noticed is that This problem does NOT happen with any other generation of Elitebook 840\820. I've tried a couple of G1,G2,G3,G4,G5 and G6 model 840 & 820 laptops (the G4,5&6 was only with an 840) and three different HP Ultraslim Docks with the same result. The problem seems to only happen when the 840 G6 is paired with the HP UltraSlim Docking station.  

HP Recommended

To add colour to the issue: I have an HP EliteBook 850 G6. So maybe it's a G6 issue...?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my HP EliteBook 840 G6 and HP 2013 UltraSlim Docking Station.  The random audio "pop" appears to happen just before the fan powers on.  I've tried updating all of the audio drivers but to no avail.  And based on others experience, updating the BIOS doesn't help either.  At this point my options are to:

• Purchase a new docking station.  Everything else works fine, so doubt I'll purchase a new one.

• Plug my speakers directly into the notebook audio port.  Although this somewhat defeats the purpose of using a docking station, once I plug my speakers into the notebook port I no longer hear the audio "pop". Since I rarely remove my notebook from the docking station, I'll live with this workaround until HP provides a better solution.

Other than this minor annoyance, my HP EliteBook 840 G6 works well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.