Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I play audio the audio comes from both the main speakers on the computer and the headphones. I just want the headphones to be playing audio when I plug them in. I have tried uninstalling the audio device, but it does not seem to work. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@wangwendy08

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Envy TouchSmart laptop. I read that the audio appears from the speakers and through the headphones at the same time. The audio does not stop when you plug in the headphones. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • When was the last time the audio worked only through the headphones when connected?
  • Did any software changes or updates happen on the laptop?

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• From the Start screen, type troubleshooting to open the Search charm, then select Troubleshooting from the search results.

Figure : Troubleshooting search results

Troubleshooting search results

• Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio playback.

Figure : Troubleshoot audio playback

Troubleshoot audio playback

• The Playing Audio window opens. Click Next.

Figure : Playing Audio window

Playing Audio window

• A new window opens. Select the device you want to troubleshoot. Then click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Figure : Select device to troubleshoot

Select device to troubleshoot

Please test the audio now. If the issue persists then I suggest you to perform the following steps from this HP article:

• Checking the sound settings
  1. Step 1: Make sure the device is recognized by the computer
  2. Step 2: Enable and/or set the default playback device
  3. Step 3: Check the volume and mute settings

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

model number: 14-k110nr

The last time it worked for about 6 months ago before I installed windows 10. This computer when I got it came with windows 8 so I updated it and then this problem began. I tried your solution of troubleshooting it did not work. The audio is still playing through both headphones and speakers. I have tried the headphones on a smartphone and they work perfectly. I'm not quite sure if the computer is not regonizing the headphones, because audio is still playing through them. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @wangwendy08

Thanks for the update & appreciate the efforts 🙂

I see that you were interacting with @MKazi. I'd like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

Let's try using the Windows default drivers. Here are the steps:

• Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “IDT high definition audio CODEC” (It may be IDT or RealTek or any other brand) and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Unfortunately when I did that the audio is now only playing through the speakers when I plug in headphones. There is no longer any audio coming from the headphones 

HP Recommended

Hello, @wangwendy08

Did you restart the PC once done? If not, please restart your PC and then check.

If the issue persists, please make sure to run all the Windows updates. Restart the PC again once the Windows is updated.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Yep I have resarted the computuer and checked for updates and resarted again and the problem still persists. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @wangwendy08

Please try the steps below:

1) Go to the device manager.

2) Expand "Sound, Video.."

3) Right-click on the "IDT sound driver" and select uninstall.

4) Select the box which says "delete the driver software". Confirm the uninstall and restart the PC.

Now, click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63001-63500/sp63376.exe to download and install the drivers.

Restart the PC and check if that helps.

If the issue persists, try the steps listed here: Fix sound or audio problems in Windows - Microsoft Support

Let me know how that goes!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The problem still persist. None of the suggestions did anything. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem for a year now since I updated to Windows 10. I tried so many methods but nothing works. I have HP Envy TS 14  Sleekbook (Model: E0M54UA#ABA). It's so annoying because there's no point of using headphones when the sound is coming out of the speakers at the same time. Hope HP Support has a solution for this. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.