Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

No need to disable Windows Update. Also not recommended as you won't get security updates.

The disabling of Windows Update is only needed for when you install the official AMD driver (which is also broken, so no need to try that suggestion) instead of the one distributed through HP. But in that case the official method is to rollback once. Windows then knows you don't want the newer and will not offer it, but still allows all other updates.

Same if at some moment in the future HP offers a new version, it may try and install that. If that is not fixed, you can then also simpy rollback once and Windows Update won't bother you.

HP Recommended

+1

I've only disabled updates temporarily to be sure im only changing one thing at a time. 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately one of my sons just reported that installing the 24th June graphics driver has NOT fixed the speaker issue he is having. 

HP Recommended

@CWatters59 wrote:

Unfortunately one of my sons just reported that installing the 24th June graphics driver has NOT fixed the speaker issue he is having. 

Your laptops are the Ryzen models, right? And you made sure to do an uninstall of the current driver before installing the June 24th driver? If so I'd say try the Sept. 24th driver, it's been working for me so far.

HP Recommended

Yes AMD Ryzen. 

Yes uninstalled previous graphics driver before installing 24th June version and restarting. Note I only changed the graphics driver no other AMD drivers.

Will try the newer one soon as I can and report back.

HP Recommended

Second son reports he is also still having sound problem with 24th June driver. Will now try the 24th September driver on both.

Interestingly on his machine it doesn't always crash, the sound just goes quiet for a second or two then starts buzzing, pointer still responds. Running the sound diagnostics in that condition finds no problem.

HP Recommended

When you say you only replaced the graphics driver, did you check the version of the AMD sound driver? It comes packaged with the graphics driver, but it may be good to sanity check that did get updated.

What I did is update all drivers to the latest including HP BIOS/firmware updates using Windows Update and HP's own tool And only then used the June 24th. I mention this, as I wonder if it is not also a combination of drivers/firmware.

But perhaps the June 24th doesn't solve it, but only makes it repro less and I am just lucky so far ...

In the end the silence of HP is therefore truly sad. They should at least acknowledge they are aware and working on it, or what version they believe solves it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying the update you did.  I'll check if the sound driver got updated when I did the graphics driver.  I didn't do anything special to prevent this.

Main problem I have is both the machines are hundreds of miles away and in near constant use during the week. For safety I'm only working on them using Quick Assist on Saturdays so if something goes badly wrong I have the rest the weekend to either fix them or get a replacement sorted. Otherwise my sons would miss lectures. They are in lockdown in University Halls of residence due to Covid.

HP Recommended

Hello! I can't find the older driver, can you please send the link?

HP Recommended

@zashez wrote:

Hello! I can't find the older driver, can you please send the link?

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp105501-106000/sp105744.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.