Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion TS Sleekbook 15, D4M40EA#ABV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I had an issue with my audio for the past 5 days where when I connected my headphones, it wouldn't detect at all(plays through speakers but no headphone audio, not even static), in the audio drivers in Driver Manager it said High Definition Audio Device (no other audio name). So i browsed hp drivers and  I had to solve it by installing the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, the audio driver that was intended for this device.

Now it detects my headphones but it plays in both my speakers and headphones simultaneously, I tried updating by selecting browse and choosing 'High Definition Audio Device" but then the first problem appears (as stated above). in my sound options in the playback section it has 2 devices: Speakers/HP and Communication Headphones ; the communication headphones doesnt work even when set to default only the Speakers/HP works when tested.  in the recording devices they have 3 devices: Headset Mic (doesnt work when tested), Internal Mic. Array (works) and Stereo Mix (it says its unavailable.).

WHen i update into High Definition AUdio Device only 2 devices remain (Speakers in playback devices and Microphone in recording devices[this is the inbuilt laptop mic]. Please help me on this matter. I tried searching for an IDT Control Panel but Icant find it. Please help me.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @shash17,

Have you tried checking with different headphones?

Please try few steps recommended below.

Right click on the speaker icon and click on Playback devices. Left click on the device you want to listen to and click 'Set Default'.

1. Go into Control Panel, then Sound.
2. Look for the Recording tab.
3. Select your microphone/headset as the default device, and press OK.

1. Press Win+X (Windows logo key and X key)  at the same time.

2. Select Control Panel in the pop-up menu. 

3. View by “Category” and click on Hardware & Sound.

4. Click on Sound.

5. Select Headphones and click Set default button at the bottom.

In some cases, there is no headphone option alone but Speakers/Headphone. If that’s your case, select that and click Set default button at the bottom.

6. Click OK button.

Also, uninstall the audio drivers from device manager and install the latest audio driver using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

II'm sorry none of these solutions worked and I still have audio coming from both my headphones and speakers.

HP Recommended

Hi! @shash17,

Thanks for the update, please try the steps recommended below.

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Sound".
2. Next Right-click on the "Headphones" (or whatever it is calling them) on the "Playback" tab.
3. Click the "Set as Default Device". 
4. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".

Also, To address this query, we suggest that you try to turn off the Audio Enhancements in Windows 10. Here's how:

Go to Start, enter Sound, and select Sound Control Panel from the list of results.
On the Playback tab, right-click (or press and hold) the Default Device and select Properties.
On the Enhancements tab, select Disable all enhancements checkbox and try to play your audio device.
If that doesn't work, select Cancel and, on the Playback tab, select another default device (if you have one), select the Disable all enhancements check box, and try to play audio again. Do this for each default device.

Hope this helps!

Take Care!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

nope, still no change

HP Recommended

Hi! @shash17,

As the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try performing a complete system reset and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system reset. Click Here

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.