Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G60-549DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Audio stopped working from speakers in the computer, nothing from the headphone jack either and this is from ALL audio sources, not just music.  No audio from any webpages.  Tried rolling the driver back, disabling and re-enabling the driver but so far nothing has given me my audio back.  This seems to have happened in the last two weeks or so, could possibly be a Windows update issue but cannot be sure.  Any help would be appreciated, a muted computer is not very useful!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has 4 GB of memory, I know you are not going to believe this, but for some crazy reason having 4 GB of memory installed on that platform causes the sound not to work.

Try this workaround for that if your notebook has 4 GB of memory...

A problem with the Conexant audio means that you may hear no sound in Windows 10 even though everything appears to be working correctly.

Microsoft suggests running msconfig.exe and heading to the Boot tab. Click the Advanced options button, check the Maximum memory box and set the value to 3072.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has 4 GB of memory, I know you are not going to believe this, but for some crazy reason having 4 GB of memory installed on that platform causes the sound not to work.

Try this workaround for that if your notebook has 4 GB of memory...

A problem with the Conexant audio means that you may hear no sound in Windows 10 even though everything appears to be working correctly.

Microsoft suggests running msconfig.exe and heading to the Boot tab. Click the Advanced options button, check the Maximum memory box and set the value to 3072.

HP Recommended

Hey Paul,

I tried the changes you suggested (even WITH Sisu!) but no change.  I'll try rebooting now since I have made those changes and see if we have any luck.  And computers were supposed to free up all kinds of time for us to do more meaningful things, right?  LOL  THanks for the assist!

Reid

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Reid.

Sorry that didn't work for you.

And yes, you would have had to restart the PC for the settings to take effect.

Paul

HP Recommended

Say YEA to Finn power!  That was the solution Paul.  Once I rebooted the sound worked just as it did before.  You sure would think that an update in the software or at least a note with the download would help a lot of folks out but I'm glad you had the solution to the problem...THANK YOU!  Now, back to the music.....

Reid

HP Recommended

Anytime, Reid.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I used to have a blue Tee-shirt that said Finn Power with a reindeer on the front.  :generic:

HP Recommended

I had the same issue.  Changing maximum memory to 3072 fixed the problem, but I'm wondering whether HP or Microsoft will be patching this issue.  I would like to have 4 GB memory back.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem and your solution to reduce maximum memory to 3072, fixed it immediately after a restart, but after putting the laptop to sleep and waking it up to use again..........no audio. I tried an audio test after that and it looks like it is working, but there is no sound.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

HP Recommended

I'VE FOUND AN INTERESTING!

So I ended up having this issue on my own HP G60, and ran across this topic.

I understand that the audio driver does not like 4GB, and the solution for you guys was to set a ram limit of 3GB (1024MB x 3).

So, I proposed a solution to myself.

The working theory in my head, was 4GB=1024MB x 4 = 4096MB

So since 4096MB is exactly 4GB, what if I just subtracted one megabyte instead of one gigabyte?

So, with 4095MB as my ram limit in MSConfig, I restarted the computer... Voila! Audio and Ram!

I mean, who's going to miss 1MB?

Hope my little combo fix helps you all!

~Yackaro

HP Recommended

Just what I needed. Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.