Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Just wondering if there's actually been a fix for this yet, as it seems to be a common problem. Using an HP ENVY m6-1178sa and after scouring the internet high and low, none of the fixes seem to be working at all. Whether using the onboard laptop speakers, external speakers, or headphones, all loud sections in songs are dramatically reduced in volume and the low end is totally sucked out. I've had to revert to listening to music on my phone because Beats makes certain songs borderline unlistenable. If there hasn't been an official fix yet, then I urge you to make one as soon as posible, as sound quality was a major motivation for buying this laptop!

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem, and it is very annoying.

I didnt't buy the laptop for the beats audio, I got it for the other specs.

But with the audio like it is, some songs are unlistenable.

There are other fixes out there, worked for a while, until I turned it off and then on again.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/675228-fix-workaround-beats-audio-volume-problem-levelin...

See if that way works for you, and hopefully it's not a temporary fix.

Try this update on the driver, seemed to work for me - sp59154.exe

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I've tried both those things, and reverted back from them because they just didn't work. Or rather, I noticed a difference, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. While there are warnings about huge volume jumps upwards (which would've been okay), what I got was quite the reverse, along with not-so-great audio quality. Hopefully HP sort this out soon.

HP Recommended

Hey stanmacdonald, 

I'm sorry you're running into this sound issue. Have you tried disabling enhancements? Has it always done this from day one? If not, have you tried going back to the original audio driver 6.10.6417.0?
HP Recommended

Control Panel --> Sound (Right Click) --> Properties. Select the playback device. In my case Speakers/HP and there then tap on "Configure" button. A new dialog box opens and choose "Advanced" tab. You will find a section "Signal Enhancements" under which you will have a check box, "Enable audio enhancements". UNCHECK that!!

All the best!

Cheers

HP Recommended

Found a fairly quick solution.  This was frustrating,  then in another post,  saw that uninstalling the IDT Enhanced Audio Controller Driver from (Computer Management/ Devices),  under Sound,  find the IDT Audio Driver listed,   right-click and uninstall.  Worked great/  - wow,  that really was a shame ... coming from HP like that.  -P.S. the beats control panel still works, just without that weird compression / auto-leveling.  Sounds like it should.    in Win 8,   you get to device manager,  via control panel, then system,  then device manager.

HP Recommended

The problem drove me nuts and i even had the HP 17 Envy sent back for warranty repair. But they couldn't fix it!!!

Effectively it seems i have found the solution:

1. check the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IDT\Config\UI" key in the registry using "regedit" app . Look for a value called "Config_SRSPreset". It will contain the XML file name your laptop uses. This file should be in 

C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM 

2. Open Notepad as Administrator and edit this file by going into section that says

<preset>
<name>Headphone_Music_Default</name>

3. find two lines:

<control name="MAXV-Process Enable">1</control>

<control name="VIQ-Process Enable">1</control>

and change 1s to zeroes and save it.

4. right click on the tray icon and find the beats audio icon, then right click to open the beats audio control panel

go to listening preferences and switch to movie then to back to music. It will reread the configuration from the disk and should apply new settings. No need to restart. 

The colution is partially from here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/675228-fix-workaround-beats-audio-volume-problem-levelin...

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thank you!!!!

This worked!

I've been strugging with this for the past year.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I'm having this same issue on my HP Pavilion 15 (p035nd), but this machine's sound card uses Realtek drivers. Has anyone encountered the audio compression issue with a Realtek HD Audio card?

The "enchancements" tab doesn't appear for me, nor do communications devices.

As a huge consumer of music, this is really ruining my experience with the laptop, which is otherwise great! 

HP Recommended

HI eventheminions,

This particular topic is about Beats Audio equipped laptops. People who are finding this topic most probably won't have an answer to your question, becasue they are looking for specific thing.

I'd recommend to look around for the same problem topic involving realtech cards and ask there or create a new one. 

I'm sorry i can't help you, i know how frustrating it is for people who listen to music all the time to have such a problem.

I think you could probably experiment with the same ideas that i provided, but you would most probably need some analythical thinking applied;)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.