6 3 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Burnt speaker

HP Recommended
Pavilion g4-2306la
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

To make it clear, my laptop is 2-3 years old and it's obviously out of warranty. I've been dealing with this problem almost for a year ago as I haven't found any solution online.

What happened is that as far I remember, I was playing some music (no I don't like noise music) and I didn't notice that the SRS/Dolby effects included in Windows Media Player were enabled, I don't remember if they were enabled by default or I manualy enabled them, I didn't move any bass slider nor equalized the output anyways.

After some music playback then the right speaker didn't make any sound at all, but curiosily there was no smoke or any sign of the speaker burning itself. Although it used to sound from time to time, but the sound came out with a noisy tone.

It lasted like 1 month until it finally didn't work anymore, and since then I've been listening music with the left speaker, of course with disabled WMP enhacements and so on. Music playback is ok with headphones so it's not the sound card. Tried downgrading to Windows 7, installed all the drivers that usually are in some odd folder in C:, installed Windows 8.1 again, installed Ubuntu 14.04 and there's no sound from the right speaker.

It should have been never happened because the (crappy) hp audio drivers should protect the speakers from audio noise peaks and related things. I didn't even use VLC or all these softwares that have a built-in amplifier; I didn't delete any driver that came out of the box with my computer and no, I didn't forget any driver when I reinstalled Windows again (IDT audio, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, graphics, sdcard reader, synaptics drivers, usb 3.0 drivers, and so on).

Could be it possible to fix it by myself? I don't want to take my laptop to an HP support center, mainly because: 1) It's expensive for me (I'm from Mexico) and my laptop is out of warranty and 2) It's my daily driver pc . 

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 714 1,909
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ lifeisfutile666,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Thank you for joining the HP Forum community.  It is a great resource for information, tips, and solutions that have helped others. Here is a link to First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More as a guide should you have any concerns or questions about the process.

I understand that you do not have any sound from the right speaker, but you do from the left. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - No Sound from Speakers (Windows 😎 as a guide. Should you determine that the right speaker has failed, here is a link to the HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide. Please note chapter 3, page 21, item 21 for the recommended replacement speaker kit.  Here are links to the  HP Parts Store,and HP PartSurfer. You could also try doing a web search with the part number to locate one. Chapter 4 of the maintenance and service guide is removal and replacement procedures for your convenience.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the"Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy

Sparkles1

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation