Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My sound isn’t working in Windows 10. No audio at all from YouTube videos, music/media players, Windows system sounds, etc.

I am an HP employee
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The first troubleshooting step I would recommend is the easiest: restart your computer. Sometimes a single application can take control of your sound device and not let any other apps use it, but you can release that control by restarting.

Here are a few other steps you can try:

• Run the audio troubleshooting tool in Windows
  • Try connecting headphones or a set of external speakers
  • Set the default sound device to make sure your computer is sending audio output to the correct device
  • If your computer came with Windows 10 installed, you can restore the original sound driver in HP Recovery Manager, or update the driver through Device Manager
  • If you upgraded your computer to Windows 10, you can update the sound driver in Device Manager
  • Hard reset your notebook

These solutions and more are explained in detail in this troubleshooter: Troubleshooting No Sound from the Computer

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The first troubleshooting step I would recommend is the easiest: restart your computer. Sometimes a single application can take control of your sound device and not let any other apps use it, but you can release that control by restarting.

Here are a few other steps you can try:

• Run the audio troubleshooting tool in Windows
  • Try connecting headphones or a set of external speakers
  • Set the default sound device to make sure your computer is sending audio output to the correct device
  • If your computer came with Windows 10 installed, you can restore the original sound driver in HP Recovery Manager, or update the driver through Device Manager
  • If you upgraded your computer to Windows 10, you can update the sound driver in Device Manager
  • Hard reset your notebook

These solutions and more are explained in detail in this troubleshooter: Troubleshooting No Sound from the Computer

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

How did no one talk about the SoftPaq Download manager?

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_SDM.html

This is the 1 tool you need for any drivers for HP equipment. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.