Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 14s-dk0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I record with any microphone through the audio 3.55mm jack (I have tried several ), I get 5-6 seconds of recording then 1 second of recording every 5-6 seconds.

I have tried recording in various software - Camtasia, Snagit, Audacity, Windows Voice recorder and all with the same result.  I have had the audio jack replaced by HP Support but still not working past 5-6 seconds.

If I use an external sound card, no problem but that is not the point - I should be able to record directly to the software and not through a sound card, shouldn't I?  

Any ideas???    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Krazy Toad,

After spending many hours on the internet and speaking to the HP technician, I have come to the conclusion that the way forward is the external sound card.  

Why?

It is better to have a dedicated piece of equipment to do a job (cost $6 approx) that to accept the quality of a system that relies on part of a Motherboard.   

How did I come to that conclusion?

Looking at the higher priced and more dedicated microphones on the market, they are all USB connections and not 3.5 m audio jack.  Same as the sound card and once I realised this, I checked the quality of my recordings of the USB v audio jack.

I was correct, USB is a clear winner.

Thanks Crazy Toad for your input. Having an extra piece of equipment to carry around when recording interviews is not ideal but a clear recording is the deciding factor   

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Pak_Mat_52

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

If the issue persists please run a Test on the Microphone

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the Notebook.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Audio > Microphone

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Krazy Toad,

Than you for helping me with my problem

I have learned a lot over the past few days with this problem of not being able to record narrations for my Camtasia Videos.  if it helps anyone else I will catalogue my mistakes to save having the same problems.

1. On my Notebook I have the internal mic, a webcam with a mic (Gucee HD 98).  Also and I have 2 external mics - Boya BY-M1  (lapel),  Boya BY MM1 (Shotgun) and Headphones with mic.

2. My first voice recording was on a Sony HandyCam  HDR-CX625 and used the Boya BY-MM1 with perfect results

3. Then I tried the lapel mic in the audio jack 3.5mm - Nothing. 

4. Tried all the other mics and the best result was the lapel mic with the sound card I bought - more by luck than judgement,       as I found out!

5. Tested them on Windows Voice recorder at the same time to see if there was a first on- gets the use..... no difference

6. Then I was into the bowels of Windows  and mics and this is when I learned that 

a. Windows set up - plug in a different mic and it should change within Windows Sound, Recording

b. Camtasia does not automatically detect the change in mics - but once all are aligned and the external  sound card is                   used - it almost works for me - Almost

If I use any mic and plug directly into the audio jack I can record for a few second and then silence - it records again and then silence. 
In a 20 second clip I can get 6-10 silences - my question is why is this happening and can the problem be diagnosed.  I am waiting for a call from the local HP Technician to come and see the replacement he did of the audio jack but he is talking about a System re-install.............................. on a business PC - No Thank You.

Kind regards,

Pak Mat 52

PS I followed your instructions about updating (even updated the HP Support Assistant) - all were up to date and testing the microphone was not an option in the testing - only tested the speaker    

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping us posted

System reinstall should be the last option if nothing else work

Hope the Local HP Tech gets it sorted out for you

Keep us posted

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Krazy Toad,

After spending many hours on the internet and speaking to the HP technician, I have come to the conclusion that the way forward is the external sound card.  

Why?

It is better to have a dedicated piece of equipment to do a job (cost $6 approx) that to accept the quality of a system that relies on part of a Motherboard.   

How did I come to that conclusion?

Looking at the higher priced and more dedicated microphones on the market, they are all USB connections and not 3.5 m audio jack.  Same as the sound card and once I realised this, I checked the quality of my recordings of the USB v audio jack.

I was correct, USB is a clear winner.

Thanks Crazy Toad for your input. Having an extra piece of equipment to carry around when recording interviews is not ideal but a clear recording is the deciding factor   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.