Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-cs2071nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The microphone used to work fine.

These past couple of days, in apps like Zoom and Microsoft Teams nobody can hear what I'm saying.

When I go to the Control Panel, I can see the level meter fluctuate as I speak.

The HP Troubleshooter could not find anything wrong.

I have not touched any settings inbetween when the mic worked and now.

Would any of the Microsoft updates have affected it???

Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had refreshed/reloaded/reinstalled the driver multiple times.  It never worked.

Microsoft pushed a system update on Sunday or Monday which fixed it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

First - I uninstalled the Realtek driver and re-installed it.  No change.  The Sound Control Panel still says the mic is working (the volume level rises and falls at any noise, including the HVAC fan), but any app does not get any sound.  This includes the "Configure -> Set up microphone" part of the Speech Recognition Control Panel.  Not one pixel of volume level is registered.

I was given a USB omni-directional microphone to help troubleshoot.

This USB mic is obviously not high quality because I had to speak rather loudly, but the "Configure -> Set up microphone" applet shows volume levels with this mic.

HP Recommended

@cb_cross

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Update the audio driver:

1. Connect to the Internet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

4. Right-click the name of the sound hardware, and then select Update Driver.

Update Driver option in Device Manager

5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software, and then wait for Windows to update the driver software.

Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software

6. Windows checks to see if updated driver software is available.

If an update is available, let Windows install the update.

7. When the update is installed successfully, a Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device window displays.

Test the microphone.

If the issue persists, please perform the remaining steps from this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had refreshed/reloaded/reinstalled the driver multiple times.  It never worked.

Microsoft pushed a system update on Sunday or Monday which fixed it.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.