Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Conv. 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having feedback through the headphone jack with my external speaker. The laptop speakers do not seem to have the same issue. It is constant with music playing and not playing. I have tried the speaker with other devices and no feedback. I have seen the issue on the forum with other people and have gone through their steps to solve the issue.

Restarted the computer many times, done th ehard restart, installed and rolled back drivers, tested the audio with the f2 key during startup, gone through all the audio troubleshooting tests and nothing seems to fix the issue.

The troubleshooters say nothing is wrong becasue sound is coming out but the feedback is still there.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mr4x403

It's not possible to restore system recovery. The recovery tools help you recover the Windows system from errors or restore your computer to a previous restore point which is factory default. This sounds like hardware related issue. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options for your laptop. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@mr4x403
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue, the issue can be caused by driver corruption, 

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Are you getting any error message? Are you using HP Audio Switch?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: (please perform these steps once again

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I did the hard restart and still heard feedback.

Did the BIOS rollback to default and it seemed to fix the problem, however when I updated the BIOS it began again.

What should I do now?

HP Recommended

@mr4x403

This sounds like driver related issue. 

Let's uninstall Audio input and outputs from the device manager.

1. Use shortcut keys Win + X on Windows 10.
  2. Select Device Manager.
  3. Expand the entry. Right-click the Audio input and outputs and select Uninstall device.
  4. You may need to check the option Delete the driver software for this device, and then click the Uninstall button.
  5. Reboot the computer and try to check the headphone.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the uninstall of the audio output, speaker/headphone Realtek audio, and restarted the computer. It still has feedback through the jack. I did notice as I was working on this and restarting, the tone changes as the computer is working. Don't know if that helps.

Also when I restarted the computer and checked the device manager again the audio output, Realtek, was visible and there again. So not sure if that means something.

Let me know what to try next. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@mr4x403
Let's try Restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications.
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Reinstall drivers and/or apps will not open. Says (disabled: HP recovery manager no longer supports this feature after windows upgraded.)

Let me know what to do next. Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

@mr4x403
We can perform a system recovery which will put the computer software back to factory default which should isolate the issue. If it's a hardware failure then the computer needs to be serviced. Click here to perform a system recovery.
Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So did the system recovery and it didn't work. Still have feedback and started all over again with apps and saved items.

So wondering what the next step is? If it's a hardware issue how do i fix it?

Also, is there a way to go back to where i was before the system recovery? I want to go back now since the problem is still the same and I'm assuming I am starting over now with the reboot.

HP Recommended

@mr4x403

It's not possible to restore system recovery. The recovery tools help you recover the Windows system from errors or restore your computer to a previous restore point which is factory default. This sounds like hardware related issue. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options for your laptop. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.