Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Notebook-M7-K211dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can not get sound out of my HDMI cable - video is excellent.  In device manager I only show Realtek High Definition Audio and CyberLink WebCam Virtual Driver.  I have installed iTunes if that matters.  When I run troubleshhot sound problems it says the issue is Generic Audio Driver Not Fixed.  I have tried to install  IDT HD Audio ut it always says it does not support this hardware.  The only device that shows up in the sound area is the speakers but the headphones do work.  The Beats control panel only shows speakers also.  I believe there was a time when an IDT HD file did show up in the Sound, video and game contollers area of the device manager.

Need help

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @the_irish_qb,

Good Day! 🙂 Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I understand that you need assistance with audio when connected via HDMI. I will be more than happy to assist you here. 🙂

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 It is always a genuine pleasure to work with customers that display such a degree of technical expertise. You are a valued HP customer. It is a genuine pleasure to serve you. 🙂

• When did this first happen?
  • Did this occur after a windows update or an app update?
  • Please try a different HDMI cable also.

It looks like a driver issue. The HP driver link lists Realtek audio and not IDT. So it should be Realtek audio.

I request you to do this. Please uninstall the audio driver from device manager and check the option “to delete the software for this device also”. (under sound audio and game controllers in device manager) and restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Then please update the latest bios, chipset audio and video drivers from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-m7-Notebook-PC-series/7527539/model/7734388

Please visit this link for HDMI related issues for further assistance. Link for HDMI troubleshooting: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Spectre-XT-15-Ultrabook/5296019/model/5333249/document/c01186...

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for trying to help me.  I did all of the updates you suggested with no change in any of the conditions.  I also confirmed the HDMI cable by using it with other devices and it checks out good.  The Beats control panel still only shows speaker and the sound still only shows Speaker/HP, I have checked "show disabled and disconnected devices" and nothing shows up.   When I run the Sound troublshooter it stills says Generic Audio Driver - Detected with a yellow triangle and an ! inside it.  When I look into the generic driver it says it is "Play Sound using Microsoft HD Audio driver"  Is there some way to select which Audio driver I am using?

Thank you again for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @the_irish_qb,

Thanks for the quick response and trying all the steps.

First off, please run diagnostics on the sound card and speakers. To do this run component tests from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

to establish that the hardware is fully functional. If you receive any failure code for failed components please make a note of it. The unit then has a hardware issue and needs to be serviced.

Please contact HP phone support by visiting this link: http://hp.com/contacthp  If the unit is under warranty, then repair services should be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.

If the audio diagnostics under component tests pass, then please back up all your data and perform a complete system recovery to original factory settings from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643  Please select the correct option that best describes your computer’s of purchase.  There is an associated video in the document also.

If nothing works, please contact HP phone support to order a new set of recovery media and perform a recovery to factory settings. Then you could update back to windows 10 again. Before updating back to windows 10 please ensure that you take a snap of the device manager window for the correctly installed audio drivers under sound audio and game controllers.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂 Trust me I've done all I can to assist you in the best possible manner by keeping your best interest in mind. 😉

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now say healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello I still have not solved my audio problem but I have some information.  Found under device manager for my Realtek High Definition Audio  - Event ID 441 - Source Kernel-PnP.  It also notes "Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0290&SUBSYS_103C229D&REV_1000\4&3887bb06&0&0001 could not be migrated"  the date for this event matches up with when I lost the audio to my HDMI output.

I also found a Failure ID 630GRS-7JW8B5-MFPWL1-004X03 in the diagnostics and tools area.  Hope this leads us to what is causing my problem.

Thank you for your support.

Irish QB

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.